Video: Costume Design for Dolley Madison

Fans of period costume, check out this video! We get a glimpse behind the scenes with costume designer Candice Donnelly showing some of the gorgeous historical gowns created for Dolley Madison, America's 'first' First Lady, which previously aired on PBS' American Experience in 2010.

MTA - Just finished watching the broadcast of Dolley Madison which I had someone record for me on VHS last year! I found it thoroughly engaging and loved learning about this impressive woman I knew nothing of, and more of that time in American history since it was never part of my Canadian curriculum.



Features Eve Best in the role of Dolley Madison.
She also portrayed Wallis Simpson in The King's Speech.





Exhibit of Dolley's costumes
June 15, 2011 - March 31, 2012
James Madison's Montpelier, Virginia

6 comments:

  1. I saw this little video a month or so ago, and thought it absolutely fascinating, just like the documentary. What a wonderful insight :-D I also want all her clothes. All of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Lauren R
    Now Lauren, don't be so greedy! (Although I can't blame you)

    I still haven't watched the program since you reminded me about it months ago but thinking this weekend would be timely to watch a patriotic Dolley in action? Especially since I don't have as many dramas to choose from when it comes to Canadian period films!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent, thank you for the video.
    http://woodsrunnersdiary.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Le Loup
    You're welcome! I finally watched the whole episode and loved it! I guess it's true what they say that history takes on greater meaning when you get older!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love those long white gloves

    ReplyDelete
  6. I tried to watch it on NetFlix, but as soon as I heard that phony "Southern" accent I dropped it. At that time in America, no one would have spoken with what we now call a "southern accent" except perhaps in the lower Southern states, and even there it didn't sound like the one portrayed in this film . They were still quite British in culture. They would have sounded more like what we think of as an "English" accent.
    Good costumes, though. (being civil)

    ReplyDelete

I HAVE RETIRED FROM THE BLOG AND WILL NO LONGER BE DOING UPDATES. THANKS!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Latest Posts