Austenland (2012)

Shannon Hale's novel Austenland is to be made into a movie with filming to begin this week.
Update: movie to debut at Sundance film fest - Jan 2013

Keri Russell, JJ Feild and Bret McKenzie will star in this romantic comedy that is the directorial debut of Jerusha Hess, who co-wrote Napoleon Dynamite and Nacho Libre with her husband, Jared Hess. Austenland's screenplay was co-written by Hess with author Shannon Hale.

It will also be the debut of Stephenie Meyer (Twilight series) as a producer who is quoted on author's site as saying, "Adorable! This is the best tribute to obsessed Austen freaks (like me) that I've ever read."

Other cast members include:
Jennifer Coolidge, Jane Seymour, Rupert Vansittart, James Callis and Georgia King

Description: When she decides to spend her life savings on a trip to an English resort catering to Jane Austen-crazed women, the woman's fantasy of meeting the perfect Regency-era gentleman becomes more real than she could have imagined.
Jane - Keri Russell (Magic of Ordinary Days, Felicity)
Nobley - JJ Feild (Northanger Abbey, Ruby in the Smoke, Secret Life of Mrs. Beeton)
Martin - Bret Mckenzie (Flight of the Conchords)
Miss Charming - Jennifer Coolidge (Legally Blonde, Best in Show)
Colonel Andrews - James Callis (Bridgit Jones)
Mrs. Wattlesbrook - Jane Seymour (Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman, Scarlett Pimpernel)
Mr. Wattlesbrook - Rupert Vansittart (Pride and Prejudice - 1995)
Lady Amelia Heartwright - Georgia King (Little Dorrit, Jane Eyre, The Duchess, Shadow in the North)
Source: THR via

[I was not a huge fan of the book but I like the cast they've assembled]

Photos updated on Facebook


  1. I am so excited!!! :) I couldn't put this book down. It was a wonderful easy read.

  2. I really enjoyed the book, and I LOVE JJ Feild, so I'm super excited about this!

  3. Love JJ Feild from Northanger Abbey and also Bret McKenzie from Flight of the Conchords- what an unusual combo! I hope this is wildly successful.

  4. Yes! I'm really curious about this, too. MG

  5. Oh, I love JJ Feild. Cannot WAIT for this. I think maybe our book club will have to read this book.

  6. @Lisa

    I should have mentioned that I have already read the book and enjoyed it (though I liked The Actor and the Housewife even more). But reading it with my Rollicking Readers book club and then watching the movie together would be wonderful!

  7. So far I like the sound of this! Especially the Jane Seymour part.

  8. This is so exciting! I read the book a while ago (might be due for a re-read) and enjoyed it. I love Keri Russell and thought JJ Feild was great in Northanger Abbey!

  9. Oh my! I didn't even realize there was such a book! I'm a big Shannon Hale fan, so I must read it immediately! JJ FIELD?!?!

    Well. It's official. I shall watch.

  10. Wow! This is very interesting! I've been surprised that Austen spin offs (like Lost In Austen, P&P and Zombies & The JA Book Club) have been so interesting to film makers. I haven't read the book Austenland but the cast is very interesting! I like Keri Russell, JJ Feild and Jane Seymour and seeing Georgia King in something new is wonderful! Now if they'd only do 'Confessions of a Jane Austen Addict', that was a good and I couldn't put it down!

    ~Miss Laurie
    Old-Fashioned Charm

  11. I love this book so much and I am so excited they're finally turning it into a movie. I love the cast they've pulled together, Jennifer Coolidge as Miss Charming has got to be one of the most perfect casting decisions ever. :)

    Thanks for posting this. It made my week.

  12. wow! I found that book at the dollar store and thought it was pretty cool -- I'd love to see the movie of it! awesome!

  13. I totally agree with you--didn't like the book, but this cast is fabulous!! May be a case of book better than the movie.

  14. Yeah! Can't wait for the movie, the cast is excellent (Jennifer Coolidge as Miss Charming? Who else could do it? This is going to be hilarious).
    I'm currently reading the book (the audio version, as I like to keep 'reading' while on long drives) and I'm enjoying it.
    At first I was surprised Brett Mackenzie would participate in a romantic comedy, but hey, I suppose he's not allergic to money. I can see him well in the role of Martin.

  15. If Stephanie Meyer really truly Austen obsessed, I would be able to read her writing style. Just saying.



Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Latest Posts