The Swan (1956)

The Swan is a remake of a 1925 film, both based on a Hungarian play by Ferenc Molnár. The film was shot on location at the Biltmore Estate of George W. Vanderbilt in Asheville, North Carolina.

Starring: Grace Kelly, Alec Guinness and Louis Jourdan with Agnes Moorehead, Jessie Royce Landis, Brian Aherne, Leo G. Carroll, Estelle Winwood and Robert Coote.

Plot: Princess Beatrice's days of enjoying the regal life are numbered unless her only daughter, Princess Alexandra, makes a good impression on a distant cousin when he pays a surprise visit to their palace. Prince Albert has searched all over Europe for a bride and he's bored by the whole courtship routine. He is more interested in the estate's dairy than Alexandra's rose garden. And then he starts playing football with the tutor and Alexandra's brothers. Invite the tutor to the ball that night and watch how gracefully Alexandra dances with him. [IMDb]

I noticed this film since I admired its Edwardian costumes listed for sale in the upcoming auction.

Trailer












7 comments:

  1. This is SUCH a sweet film! And gorgeously rendered on-screen! I hope you get the chance to see it someday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's funny because I thought about the movie a few days ago. A telepathy moment :D
    (I'm the Anonymous :))

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Ruth
    I have this feeling that I've seen it already but then again, I would have remembered if I'd seen Grace Kelly! Or perhaps it's just that the plot seems familiar and almost formulaic but I'm happy to hear that you recommend it! Will try to find the time to check it out. Thanks Ruth!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always thought of this as such a sad film.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i loved this!! found it on youtube and couldn't stop watching thanks for the great pick

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Anonymous
    Happy to hear that you liked it! I still haven't seen it myself :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This film is so interesting...it's like Grace Kelly and Louis Jourdan are in a completely different movie from everyone else. The supporting cast and Alec Guiness are delightful, comedic and almost slapsticky on occasion. Kelly and Jourdan are never anything but serious, stiff and melodramatic. I like the supporting cast's movie better.

    ReplyDelete

I HAVE RETIRED FROM THE BLOG AND WILL NO LONGER BE DOING UPDATES. THANKS!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Latest Posts