Medieval Films

Here's the next installment of period dramas sorted by era
which brings us back to the Medieval Ages (500-1500).

Which period dramas have you watched set in the Middle Ages?
VOTE IN POLL










































































































































































































































































































































































How many of these have you seen?
VOTE IN POLL

View more period films sorted by era

Original source list:
Eras of Elegance

[Note: It was pointed out to me that 'Lord of the Rings' is not set in this era but for the time being, I'll keep it in this grouping of films since it does have a medieval feel to it.]

A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court (1989)
A Kid in King Arthur's Court (1995)
A Knight in Camelot (1998)
A Knight's Tale (2001)
A Young Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court (1995)
Aladdin (1992)
Becket (1964)
Braveheart (1995)
Brother Sun, Sister Moon (1973)
Cadfael (1994-1996)
Camelot (1967, 2010)
Dragonheart (1996)
Ella Enchanted (2004)
El Cid (1961)
Excalibur (1981)
First Knight (1995)
Francesco (1989)
Francis of Assisi (1961)
Genghis Khan (1965)
George and the Dragon (2004)
Hildegard of Bingen (1994)
How to Train Your Dragon (2010)
Ivanhoe (1982)
Ivanhoe (1997)
Joan of Arc (1999)
Kingdom of Heaven (2005)
King Arthur (2004)
Ladyhawke (1985)
Lionheart (1987)
Macbeth (1971,1998)
Marco Polo (1982)
Merlin (1998)
Mohammad, Messenger of God (1977) (The Message)
Monty Python and the Holy Grail (1975)
Mulan (1998)
Notre Dame de Paris: Musical (1999)
Prince Charming (2001)
Prince Valiant (1997)
Prince of Persia: Sands of Time
Princess of Thieves (2001)
Quest for Camelot (1998)
Robin and Marian (1976)
Robin Hood (various years)
Robin Hood: Men in Tights (1993)
Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves (1991)
Prince of Jutland / Royal Deceit (1994)
Saint Patrick: The Irish Legend (2000)
Shrek (2001)
Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger (1977)
Sinbad the Sailor (1947)
Sleeping Beauty (1959)
Snow White (2001)
Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (1937)
Stardust (2007)
Storybook (1995)
Sword of the Valiant (1982)
The 10th Kingdom (2000)
The 13th Warrior (1999)
The Black Cauldron (1985)
The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1977, 1982, 1996)
The Keeper: The Legend of Omar Khayyam (2005)
The Last Unicorn (1982)
The Lion in Winter (1968, 2003)
The Lord of the Rings (1978)
The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (2001)
The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (2002)
The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (2003)
The Messenger: The Story of Joan of Arc (1999)
The Mists of Avalon (2001)
The Navigator (1988)
The Princess Bride (1987)
The Sword in the Stone (1963)
The Zany Adventures of Robin Hood (1984)
Time Bandits (1981)
Timeline (2003)
Titus (1999)
Tristan and Isolde (2006)
Willow (1988)
Young Ivanhoe (1995)

19 comments:

  1. Aladdin (1992)
    Beauty and the Beast (1991)
    Enchanted (2007)
    Jack and the Beanstalk: The Real Story (2001)
    Mulan (1998)
    Stardust (2007)

    These movies are not movies from the Medieval Times. BatB is Early Victorian, Enchanted and JatB are Present Day, Mulan and Aladin are most likely BC, and Stardust is firmly in the Bustle era and that makes it Late Victorian

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Anonymous
    Thanks for your suggestions! I got the film list elsewhere so I assumed they were all in the right era and didn't have time to verify each one. I've kept Mulan and Aladdin in this list since I found references placing them in the Middle Ages.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Brother Sun, Sister Moon. Hardly anyone I know has seen it. I saw it on Netflix and fell in love. It is a stunning film and it warms my heart. Even though I am a Protestant I still admire St.Francis a lot. He was a beautiful man. Cheers to you for having this lovely film on the list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You missed one of my new favorites, PILLARS OF THE EARTH, based on the Ken Follett book. Great miniseries, set during The Anarchy and featuring both the war between Queen Maud and King Stephen as well as the building of a (fictional) grand cathedral.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love cadfeal!!..at home i've got some dvd's..
    greetings marijke

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't think Lord of the Rings should be on that list. It's not from the medieval times, and not from "our" time at all. In the movies/books the story is set in the Third age (around 3000)

    Oh, and I agree with Kaye: Pillars of the Earth shoudld deffinetly be on that list :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Anonymous
    Glad to hear you liked Brother Sun, Sister Moon! I've heard others rave about it although I've not seen it myself.

    @Kaye Dacus
    I thought of Pillars as I was trying to recall newer films not on the list (compiled at Eras of Elegance) however I had overlooked it since it was not one of my favourites. I had such conflicting feelings when I finished the novel and I felt like the series highlighted what I didn't like and ignored the redeeming aspects of the novel.
    However, I have added it to the poll since you've reminded me about it, knowing that there are others who have enjoyed it as well!

    @marijke
    Hi Marijke! I know there are a lot of fans of Cadfael. I keep meaning to watch the series!

    @Pandora
    I'm not that familiar with LOTR so I didn't know in which era it was set. The source list placed it as medieval and I think I'll keep it here anyway since it does have a medieval feel to it. I should probably do a category of fantasy films but I doubt I'll get around to that but I'll definitely have to qualify that LOTR don't belong in this grouping of films, especially since it looks like it's ranking first! But thanks for your correction!

    ReplyDelete
  8. @AnonymousI saw the most of them, and love it at all! Tristan & Isolde is my favorite!

    But another medieval movie that I really like too, Stealing Heaven (the history of Abelard and Heloise) was forgotten =/

    I love this blog so much! Thank you for this amazing site!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A Knight's Tale, Princess Bride and MP and the Holy Grail are obvious faves.

    What's with the Whoopie Goldberg one????

    Can anyone recommend the James Purefoy George and the Dragon? That one looks cute!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jenny, I saw George and the Dragon with James Purefoy and the movie is cute. It's kind a fairy tale! Purefoy are 'Saint' George before he become saint, trying to save a rebel princess that protects a dragon's egg.

    ReplyDelete
  11. When thinking of medival times the first movie that springs to my mind along with Monty Python's Holy Grial is Annaud's "The Name of the Rose".
    Also, probably "Dangerous Beauty" and "How to Train Your Dragon" would both fit the period?

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Mara Sop
    Hi Mara, happy to hear you like to visit here!

    I hadn't heard of Stealing Heaven before - just goes to prove that there are so many more period dramas out there than I first thought!

    @Jenny Allworthy
    I've not seen the Whoopie film but was surprised by how many versions were found of a Yankee in King Arthur's Court. Not sure about this one but Michael York plays King Arthur and I thought it looked fun :)

    @lobagris
    I don't include every film in the poll necessarily. I try to add films that I would like to recommend to others and so some dramas aren't included for various reasons. I've excluded a lot of the older films or lesser known ones or those with adult themes. But I did add How to Train Your Dragon to the list - thanks for your suggestions!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Stealing Heaven wasn't a famous movie, but is about the first love story of the west, and happens in France of the 11th century. It's a true and very sad story, but totally amazing! It's a keeper! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. In Aladin "A Whole New World" sequence, the guy is carving the Sphinx, that places it BC, Before Christ. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Sphinx_of_Giza

    ReplyDelete
  15. Merlin.. haha, that brought back great memories of watching it as a young child with my mom, who was a huge medieval film/tv series fan. And Willow? Who didn't love Willow as a kid?

    ReplyDelete
  16. @lobagris I would agree I just watched Dangerous Beauty yesterday It's totally renaissance also Netflix has a mini series on my fav Queen Elizabeth I called Elizabeth r with glenda Jackson as Q E.I she also plays the same part in Mary Queen of Scots another great flick from the same production company great films!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Like Lord of the Rings, the Game of Thrones HBO series is a fantasy, but I suppose it should be included iF LotR is....

    ReplyDelete
  18. Can't belive Heston's THE WARLOARD was left off this list?
    Far and away the best NORMAN PERIOD MOVIE EVER MADE ! --- hard to find, but bought my copy on Ebay.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh no, I JUST found this website and found it amaaazing! I'm sad that you're no longer updating it ! :(

    Still provides a great basis, regardless.

    ReplyDelete

I HAVE RETIRED FROM THE BLOG AND WILL NO LONGER BE DOING UPDATES. THANKS!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Latest Posts