Casting news for Anna Karenina (2012)

Here are some new names unofficially attached to the upcoming Anna Karenina feature film due out next year to be directed by Joe Wright (Pride and Prejudice, Atonement) with screenplay by Tom Stoppard (Shakespeare in Love, Vatel).

(Benedict Cumberbatch was previously named as part of the cast but unsure if that's still the case since he's not mentioned in this more recent article. Saoirse Ronan is also mentioned as part of the cast but from what I've read previously, this looked like it would be a scheduling conflict so waiting for official confirmation of cast.)

Jude Law (Anna's husband Karenin)
Keira Knightley (Anna Karenina)
Aaron Johnson (Count Vronsky)

Matthew Macfadyen (Prince Stepan "Stiva" Oblonsky, Anna's brother)
Kelly Macdonald (Princess "Dolly" Oblonsky, Stepan's wife)


Olivia Williams
(Countess Vronskaya, Vronsky’s mother)



Domhnall Gleeson
(Konstantin Levin ("Kostya") – Kitty's husband, old friend of Stiva)



Ruth Wilson, Emily Watson, Alicia Vikander have joined cast

? (to be confirmed)
(Princess Betsy, Vronsky's cousin)

? (to be confirmed)
(Princess Kitty, Dolly's younger sister, and later Konstantin Levin's wife)


Source: Mail Online
Update: Indie Wire

13 comments:

  1. I will DEFINITELY be seeing this one! Joe Wright is one of those directors that I will go see regardless of the movie. Loved both Pride & Prejudice and Atonement, so I am anxious to see this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really looking forward to seeing this adaptation. Thank you for the update, Cheryl.

    ReplyDelete
  3. On the online page of the Mail there is an article about Benedict Cumberbatch. It's mentioned that he cannot do Anna Karenina because of sceduling conflict with his project described in the article - which is also a period piece.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Jo M and Katherine,
    I think a lot of us are impressed with the acting talent that has been cast! I'm still waiting for filming to begin and names to be confirmed.

    @Anonymous
    Thanks for pointing that out! I had skimmed the article re: Parade's End but missed the reference to Cumberbatch no longer being able to film AK.
    I posted earlier about Parade's End: http://enchantedserenityperiodfilms.blogspot.com/2010/11/parades-end-miniseries-by-ford-madox.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Joe Wright does love to reuse actors doesn't he? I hope he pulls this one off because it could be sensational.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sorry but I cannot get behind the idea of Keira Knightley as Anna Karenina nor Aaron Johnson as Vronsky. I don't even think he's 21 yet!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't know about the actors... They all seem a bit too young??? I've still got Sean Bean stuck in my head... I'm hoping Aaron Johnson can pull it off....
    Hopefully, this turns out to be good. Fingers crossed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wooo Hooo - More MM to look forward to on the big screen!

    And this would also explain (according to the article) one of the reasons that MM could not do Private Lives in Toronto with Kim Cattrall - but I think Paul Gross is a good choice.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never seen this Aaron Johnson, as far as I know, but in that picture he just *looks* like Vronsky. :-) Kind of sorry that MM is playing Oblonsky -- I prefer him as good characters, and Oblonsky drives me nuts! Oh, well. I'm sure he'll do a good job with the part, anyhow.

    And it's always nice to see Olivia Williams.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't wait to see this, but I hope that something happens so that Keira Knightly isn't Anna.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Excited for this film. I do hope that Keira gains some weight and doesnt have that horrible wig she wore in Pride & Prejudice. :( bad wig but great film.

    Aaron Johnson should be great but I am confused by Jude law. Anna's husband is suppose to be much older than her. Jude looks the same age as Anna, but hair and makeup I assume will be used to make him older. I hope so anyway.

    I still love Sophie Marceau as Anna Karenina. She was so lovely and the film beautiful.

    But I have faith in Joe and I just hope Keira gets a good wig. lol

    ReplyDelete
  12. Is that Vronsky?Good Lord, he's a child.

    I think Alexander Skarsgard was made to play Vronsky.

    ReplyDelete
  13. On her page on the Troika Acting Agency official website, it says that Holliday Grainger is playing The Baroness in Anna Karenina. Is this true?

    ReplyDelete

I HAVE RETIRED FROM THE BLOG AND WILL NO LONGER BE DOING UPDATES. THANKS!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Latest Posts