Ancient Films

Here's the next installment of period dramas sorted by era
which brings us all the way back to Ancient Films.
(4000 B.C. - 500 A.D.)



























































































































































































































































































See movies from other eras

Original source list found at
Eras of Elegance


A.D. (1985)
Abraham (1994)
Acts (1994)
Agora (2009)
Alexander the Great (1956)
Androcles and the Lion (1952)
Antony and Cleopatra (1973)
Antony and Cleopatra (1974)
Attila (2001)
Ben Hur: A Tale of the Christ (1959)
Ben-Hur (2010)
Cleopatra (1963)
David (1997)
David and Bathsheba (1951)
Esther (1999)
Fall of the Roman Empire
Falling Fire: The Gift of the Spirit (1997)
Gladiator (2000)
Gospel according to Matthew (1993, Visual Bible)
Hercules (1983)
In the Beginning (2000)
Jacob (1994)
Jason and the Argonauts (2000)
Jeremiah (2000)
Jesus (1999)
Jesus of Nazareth (1977)
Joseph (1995)
Joseph: King of Dreams (2000)
Judas (2004)
Julius Caesar (1953)
Julius Caesar (2002)
King David (1985)
King of Kings (1961)
Les Dix Commandements (2001)
Mary, Mother of Jesus (1999)
Masada (1981)
Moses (1995)
Noah's Ark (1999)
Paul the Apostle (2000)
Peter and Paul (1981)
Pompeii - The Last Day (2004)
Quo Vadis (1951)
Samson and Delilah (1996)
Solomon (1997)
Spartacus (1960)
St. Peter (2007)
The 3 Wise Men (2003)
The Egyptian (1954)
The Fall of the Roman Empire (1964)
The Fourth Wise Man (1985)
The Gospel of John (2003)
The Greatest Story Ever Told (1965)
The Miracle Maker (2000)
The Nativity (2010)
The Nativity Story (2006)
The Passion of the Christ (2004)
The Prince of Egypt (1998)
The Robe (1953)
The Story of Ruth (2006)
The Silver Chalice (1954)
The Story of David
The Ten Commandments (2007)
The Trojan Women (1971)
Troy (2004)
Young Hercules (1998)

13 comments:

  1. I've only seen about 8 of these. Oh, you forgot one, 'Helen of Troy (2003)' needs to be added to your list. I've never seen 'Troy' but it's the same story isn't it? 'Helen of Troy (2003)' has Rufus Sewell and Emilia Fox in it. It was a bit graffic at times but the costumes, scenery and acting were well done.
    I've been wanting to see more of these films based on Biblical stories, especially the older ones.

    ~Miss Laurie
    Old-Fashioned Charm

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Laurie,
    I did look at Helen of Troy but based on the plot keywords at IMDb chose not to include it. The original list at EoE has many more films but I excluded some either because they were outdated or unsuitable :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, I love these lists. I can't get my hands on enough movies with Roman/classical/mythology/etc themes. :D

    Gladiator is always a favorite, glad to see it's here! :D Also, anyone else who likes pretty pretty men, bromance, and pretty pretty settings who hasn't seen it already -- watch The Eagle! It's actually based on a Rosemary Sutcliff book. Who doesn't love Roman Britain? Music's good, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Jamie,
    Would you believe that I've not seen Gladiator yet? Many have recommended it but I just haven't found the time but hopefully one day...

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Charleybrown -- I believe it! It's a beautiful movie with some good acting and an AMAZING soundtrack... (Hans Zimmer -- all his stuff sounds alike, so if you like Pirates of the Caribbean, Spirit [the cartoon horse movie], and his others, you'd like it. If not, well... ;D ) Good story. My problem is that it's rated R, and I've got a pansy of a stomach and I don't like seeing gore -- there are battle scenes, and there's a part where he rips off a tattoo from his arm which I was like @_@ geegagghhh. That's why I enjoyed The Eagle more, it was PG13. ;) Gladiator is worth a watch, though, when you have time! It's also got some good special features, if you like watching those.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Er, I liked The Eagle "more", as in it didn't make me want to hide from the battles as much as in Gladiator. But then again, I did see Gladiator when I was ... 15 or 16?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice list of movies. But I must say "El Cid" belongs to the Middle Ages category. What about including the film "Agora"?

    Margaret.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Margaret,
    Thanks for the correction re: El Cid! And for reminding me about omitting Agora. I've added it to the list.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You may wish to consider the 1954 film "The Egyptian" inspired by the novel by Mika Waltari. Stars Jean Simmons and a long list of other notable, even great actors of mid 20th century.

    Carla

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've only seen six, but I did watch the HBO series on Rome, which I thought really good. In my opinion, many of these are not very good, but some are truly classics.

    JaneGS from Reading, Writing, Working, Playing

    ReplyDelete
  11. This "Rome" is very interesting, very well acted, and VERY RAUNCHY!

    Carla

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Jane, @Carla,
    I've not seen many of the films listed but there are a few I'd like to check out however Rome will not be one of them. Out of my comfort zone :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. wow! Thank you for your blog.I've seen some, but so many I have yet to watch...

    ReplyDelete

I HAVE RETIRED FROM THE BLOG AND WILL NO LONGER BE DOING UPDATES. THANKS!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Latest Posts