Great Expectations (2012)

There are currently 2 projects planned for Great Expectations: one a feature film and the other a 3-part series for television...

NUMBER ONE:
Feature film to be directed by Mike Newell, screenplay by David Nicholls
Cast possibilities: Holliday Grainger (Estella) Ralph Fiennes (Magwitch), Helena Bonham Carter (Miss Havisham) and Jeremy Irvine as Pip.
Update on cast: Robbie Coltrane as Mr. Jaggers, Jason Flemyng as Joe, and Sally Hawkins as Mrs. Joe.

Screenwriter Nichols has said, "needless to say David Lean's classic version casts a long shadow, but I'm confident that we've come up with a new take on the wonderful material, something that feels fresh and new while still being largely faithful to the book."

NUMBER TWO:
From BBC:
Sarah Phelps' bold new adaptation will give us the heart and guts of Dickens at his very best. Suspenseful and thrilling, this visceral retelling will capture the romance and warmth of the classic to mark his bicentenary, especially for next Christmas on BBC One. [3 x 60 minutes]

Update (courtesy of Gina at Dickensblog and Screenterrier):
Ray Winstone cast as Magwitch
Douglas Booth cast as Pip
Vanessa Kirby cast as Estella
Gillian Anderson as Haversham
see full cast list on IMDb

Ray Winstone says: "Great Expectations is my favourite novel, and I'm thrilled to be playing Magwitch. I've wanted to play him for ages, I'm really excited about Sarah Phelps' take on the story, and I can't wait to get stuck in." [BBC]

8 comments:

  1. This news is surprisingly exciting! I was thinking over the various adaptations of Great Expectations and thinking that it was about time for a new version (last one being in 1999? and I didn't really like that one). Now to find out that two film versions are in the works is very lovely! Now if they'd just do a new Tale of Two Cities which hasn't been done in ages!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Update on the BBC miniseries: They have Ray Winstone as Magwitch and Douglas Booth as Pip, and Gillian Anderson is in talks for Miss Havisham.

    Interesting how neither version has cast Estella yet (though the feature film people talked to Rooney Mara). I'm dying to see who'll be picked!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Gina
    Thanks for the cast update! I loved Ray Winstone ever since he played Henry VIII and I think Douglas Booth could do well as Pip.
    It just might pique my interest as I'm not that keen on this particular tale.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Updated cast list for the miniseries:

    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1949720/fullcredits#cast

    And the feature film has added Robbie Coltrane as Mr. Jaggers, Jason Flemying as Joe, and Sally Hawkins as Mrs. Joe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. (Sorry, Flemyng. Apparently I can't spell. :-) )

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to admit, I kept seeing Helena Bonham Carter's face in Miss Havisham as I read the novel. I'm a huge fan of hers and am extremely excited about this potential release!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Gina Thanks for the update Gina. I'll add it to the post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Waiting for an image of Holliday Grainger as Estella.

    ReplyDelete

I HAVE RETIRED FROM THE BLOG AND WILL NO LONGER BE DOING UPDATES. THANKS!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Latest Posts