Somewhere in Time (1980)

A young playwright, Richard Collier (Christopher Reeve), is approached by an elderly woman on the occasion of his first triumph in 1972 -- all she says to him is "Come back to me" and leaves him with a watch that contains a picture of a ravishing young woman. Eight years later, he visits the Grand Hotel on Mackinac Island and comes upon a photograph of the same woman, whom he discovers was an actress who made an appearance at the hotel in 1912. He becomes obsessed with the image and what the woman -- who died the night she approached him in 1972 -- meant by what she said. He falls in love with her and her image as he learns more about her life and career. Then he comes upon the suggestion of a professor at his former college that time travel may, in fact, be possible, using an extreme form of self-hypnosis to free the person from the place they occupy in the time-stream. Collier's feelings for the woman are so strong that he succeeds, bringing himself back to the hotel in 1912 on the eve of her triumph. He meets the actress, Elise McKenna (Jane Seymour), and the two fall in love despite the machinations of her obsessive, autocratic manager (Christopher Plummer), who feels threatened by Collier's presence. [written by Bruce Eder]

Adapted from Richard Matheson's 1960s vintage novel
"Bid Time Return".

12 comments:

  1. This my absolutely favorite, favorite film of all time (although the 1982 version of The Scarlet Pimpernel comes in close second). I do so love this movie so much. The soundtrack is absolutely heavenly, the setting is amazing, and both Christopher Reeve and Jane Seymour at their best. Their chemistry is incredible, and I am never, never dry eyed by the end of it. So happy to see it featured here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ahh I agree with Alexandra it's such a fantastic film. It is a tear jerker definitely and it's so beautiful to watch. All the women in my family adore this movie and whenever it's om tv we call each other to make sure we are all watching it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is one of my favorite movies!! I had the great opportunity to go to the 20th anniversary screening of SIT. Christopher Reeve and Jane Seymour were both there. It was a heavenly night!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was aware that this film is beloved by many! Can't believe it's 30 years old and it's been ages since I've seen it so hearing your remarks makes me want to do that soon!

    @Shell,
    That does sound wonderful! You must have been on cloud nine!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I adore this film! In fact, I had been urged to see it so many times by friends (because of my feeling out of place in this time) that I bought it the first time I saw it available. I hadn't even seen it, then! Funny, too, that I lived in Michigan for 12 years, and have never been to Mackinac Island. If you like "Somewhere in Time," you should read Jack Finney's "The Love Letter." Here's a link: http://homepage.mac.com/cssfan/jackfinney/sep590801016.htm

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know I love this movie if you read my "Time Out With Phylly" post for New Year's. :)
    I was also surprised by all the blog love there is for this movie. It was so long ago that I saw it, and sometimes a memory of a movie is better than the actual thing. I would love to see it again!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Phylly~I think it's actually available to watch on hulu.com right now! I'm not sure, though, as I own a copy already. Have a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Renee, I do have "The Love Letter" in the list of films on here although I have to say that when I finally tracked down a copy of the DVD, I didn't enjoy it as much the second time around.

    Re: watching Somewhere in Time, unfortunately Hulu.com doesn't work for those of us in Canada but the movie is on Youtube at the moment!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Charleybrown~ Oh! I meant reading the story. I've heard the film isn't nearly as marvelous as the short story. Also, didn't know that about hulu. *U_U* Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Interesting fact about "The Love Letter": decades before Dan Curtis turned it into a TV-movie with another screenwriter, he had Matheson (whose novel BID TIME RETURN was published in 1975, by the way) write an adaptation. Matheson's was intended as an episode of the abortive anthology series DEAD OF NIGHT, and was never produced. He did, however, adapt Finney's "Second Chance" for a 1977 Curtis TV-movie (also called DEAD OF NIGHT), and of course paid tribute to his old friend with the character of Professor Finney in SOMEWHERE IN TIME. For further information, see my book RICHARD MATHESON ON SCREEN (http://www.mcfarlandpub.com/book-2.php?id=978-0-7864-4216-4).

    ReplyDelete
  11. Matthew,
    thanks for that added info!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have never seen this movie but will soon change that. I bought it over the weekend at walmart. HOpe its good.

    ReplyDelete

I HAVE RETIRED FROM THE BLOG AND WILL NO LONGER BE DOING UPDATES. THANKS!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Latest Posts