Little Women

Little Women is a novel by American author Louisa May Alcott (1832–1888). The book was written and set in the Alcott family home, Orchard House, in Concord, Massachusetts. It was published in two volumes in 1868 and 1869. The novel follows the lives of four sisters—Meg, Jo, Beth, and Amy March—and is loosely based on the author's childhood experiences with her three sisters.

There have been 4 major film adaptations:

Little Women (1933)
starring Katharine Hepburn and Joan Bennett


Little Women (1949)
starring Elizabeth Taylor and June Allyson


Little Women (1978)
starring Meredith Baxter and Susan Dey


Little Women (1994)
starring Susan Sarandon, Winona Ryder, and Christian Bale

6 comments:

  1. I just watched the 1949 version last night with my family. It has been years since I've watched it, I enjoyed it very much.
    I watch the 1994 version every year at Christmas & cry every year as well. My favorite was when my sister & I were watching it and she cried in the opening credits, she was pregnant at the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen all four of those adaptations! I love them all really, each has wonderful moments! I think the first two use almost the same script. Katherine Hepburn is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've only seen snippets of the older ones but would love to watch them all especially after hearing your comments!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Katharine Hepburn as Jo. (Why wouldn't I? She's my favorite actress.) But overall---cinematography, music, flow of the story---I have to say I like the 1994 version best.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've seen all four, and as much as I like "older" films, I prefer the Winona Rider one, for two reasons. Since I'm a costumer, I like the more period correct costumes in this movie. I also like the way Winona plays Jo much better than Hepburn or Allyson, both who overexaggerate the character. I know this is their style but I preferred Ryder's portrayal.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Proud to have seen them all and watched all but '78 recently after finishing the audio book (as a re-re...read). I have VHS of all but '78, I've only seen that once, I think it was from Netflix, but I recall it was done pretty well. I liked June Allyson as Jo, but Elizabeth Taylor is distracting for the story. I love Claire Danes as Beth in '94, she always makes me cry. '94 was interesting with how they put in more parts that were autobiographical but not so much in the book.

    ReplyDelete

I HAVE RETIRED FROM THE BLOG AND WILL NO LONGER BE DOING UPDATES. THANKS!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Latest Posts