The Great Gatsby

The American classic by F. Scott Fitzgerald may be getting an update if Australian director Baz Lurhmann has his way...

Casting news from THR:
Carey Mulligan has been officially offered the role of Daisy Buchanan, the starring female role in Baz Luhrmann’s (Moulin Rouge, Australia) adaptation of The Great Gatsby, set up at Columbia.

Luhrmann has been meeting with actors and conducting table reads over the past couple of months in order to find the right mix for his cast, with Leonardo DiCaprio and Tobey Maguire pegged to play Jay Gatsby and Nick Carraway, respectively.

Update: Joel Edgarton has been cast as Tom Buchanan, Daisy's husband

In the novel set in the moneyed society of 1920 Long Island, N.Y., Buchanan is Gatsby’s love, a shallow woman whom Gatsby lost due to his being poor.

According to reports, Mulligan received a phone call from Luhrmann, who told her she won the part, while on the red carpet the Fashion Council Awards in New York.

Baz said regarding the film: "If you wanted to show a mirror to people that says, 'You've been drunk on money,' they're not going to want to see it. But if you reflected that mirror on another time they'd be willing to. People will need an explanation of where we are and where we've been, and 'The Great Gatsby' can provide that explanation."

Update (March 2011): Baz Luhrmann still planning to film movie but not right away

3 comments:

  1. Sorry but I don't like Leo...I don't know why...I've tried.

    Well actually I do know why...I just can't see him as an adult (does that make sense to anyone else) I liked him in Catch Me If You Can because he was playing a boy pretending to be a grown up.

    I think I'll have to wait for the dvd on this one and save my movie-theatre money for something else...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can see how you would say that Leo looks boyish but I find that I like him more as time goes on. I don't know that I'm a fan of The Great Gatsby though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you tyme_4_t about Leo except I think he did a fabulous job as Howard Hughes in The Aviator.
    I love the book The Great Gatsby, and although the last movie version was somewhat flawed my mind is now permanently stuck with Robert Redford and Mia Farrow in the main roles.
    I certainly hope it isn't being made into a musical!

    ReplyDelete

I HAVE RETIRED FROM THE BLOG AND WILL NO LONGER BE DOING UPDATES. THANKS!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Latest Posts