Costume Designer for Downton Abbey - Susannah Buxton

I'm thoroughly enjoying the trip back in time to 1912 with the residents of Downton Abbey. I didn't expect to fall in love with this era and in particular the period costumes, ohhhh but the costumes! I've heard from others who've loved this era for a long time and already knew of its allure but I've just become enamoured with this turning point in history and the stunning fashion in a carefree time that was soon to be changed forever due to the approaching war.

I've been eager to know more about Susannah Buxton, the costume designer for Downton and grateful to Una at Milk Publicity for sharing this video clip that aired on ITV's This Morning.
video

Here are some of my favourite outfits spotted during the series...













I adore this jacket worn by Maggie Smith.

Pic on left is during the scene where the Dowager says to Cora, "I always thought this family might be approaching dissolution. I didn't know that dissolution was already upon us!"









I just chose my favourite images of the ladies except for this one pic.

Doesn't Lord Grantham look dashing? ;)













































































See also
"The Hats of Downton Abbey", Edwardian Fashion, etc at Downton Abbey

10 comments:

  1. aaaaaaaaaaa i love all your post about dowtown abbey, i watch it every sunday !! where did you find all this good quality picture ?
    I love the moment when sybille appear with her sultan dress !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have to look out for that when they show it here. Isn't it interesting to see past fashions on a variety of shapes, sizes and ages? To me, that makes the best costume dramas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mei-li,
    I found the pics here:
    http://fragilidad.ucoz.com/photo/

    Steph,
    I agree. It's been wonderful to meet all the characters at Downton!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratz for your lovely blog, Charleybrown!! I must say that me an my mother really enjoy this tv drama, and we love the costumes too.
    its all very fine!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your comment Raquel! Glad to know that you're enjoying Downton as well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just came over this blog because I'm writing and posting pics about the costumes in Downton Abbey.
    What a gorgeous blog you have! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Pandora! It's due to all the great period dramas out there that I can't stop collecting tidbits about them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'd like more info on the men's hats. The ones that seem like top hats and fedora's combined, lol

    bill@billtracyphoto.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your blog. I linked to it this morning on my own and only after realized that you're close to home (Kingston, but I grew up in Ottawa and lived there again for 3 years recently).

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hate wearing dresses and haven't for the last 42 years, but I might make an exception for some of those absolutely gorgeous dresses the Downton Abbey ladies wear!!

    ReplyDelete

I HAVE RETIRED FROM THE BLOG AND WILL NO LONGER BE DOING UPDATES. THANKS!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Latest Posts