Edwardian Period Films (1901-1914)

Watching Downton Abbey has increased my fascination for this time period and had me thinking about other costume dramas that have been set in Edwardian times.

King Edward VII
's reign (1901-1910) was short in comparison to the 63 year reign of his mother Queen Victoria. While she was known for her strict standards of morality, Edward was associated with La Belle Epoque, an epoch of beautiful clothes and the peak of luxury living for a select few. These years of easy living would change drastically with the onset of World War I in 1914. [fashion-era] The Edwardian era is usually defined beyond Edward's death and may include the years 1901 -1914.


Which of these films have you seen? Any favourites?

Click here to VOTE IN POLL
(Top Ten results posted here)









































































































































































































































































Angel (2007)
Anne of Green Gables
Berkeley Square (1998)
Casualty 1900's (2006-2009)
Chaplin (1992)
Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (1968)
Christy
Cinder Path (1994)
Coco Avant Chanel (2009)
Color Purple (1985)
Dean Spanley
Downton Abbey (2010)
Dr. Zhivago (1965,2002)
Duchess of Duke Street (1976)
Eight Men Out
Englishman Who Went Up a Hill and Came Down a Mountain (1995)
Fairy Tale: A True Story (1997)
Fifteen Streets (1989)
Finding Neverland (2004)
Forsyte Saga - To Let (2003)
Gigi (1958)
Golden Bowl (2000)
Great Race (1965)
Greatest Game Ever Played (2005)
House of Mirth (2000)
Howard's End (1992)
Importance of Being Earnest (2002)
In Love and War (1996)
Iron Jawed Angels
The Last Station
Lawrence of Arabia (1962)
Legends of the Fall (1994)
Lillie (1978)
Little Princess (1995)
Lost Prince (2003)
Magnificent Ambersons (1942, 2002)
Manor House (Edwardian Country House)
Mary Poppins (1964)
Meet Me in St. Louis (1944)
Michael Collins (1996)
Miss Potter (2006)
The Moth (1997)
Mrs. Dalloway (1997)
Mrs. Soffel (1984)
Music Man (1962,2003)
My Fair Lady (1964)
Nicholas and Alexandra (1971)
No Greater Love (1996)
Out of Africa (1985)
Pollyanna (2003)
Photographing Fairies (1997)
Railway Children (2000)
Room with a View (1985, 2007)
Samantha, An American Girl Holiday (2004)
Sarah, Plain and Tall (1991)
Séraphine (2008)
Sherlock Holmes - Jeremy Brett (1984-1994)
Sherlock Holmes - Robert Downey Jr. (2009)
Somewhere in Time (1980)
Songcatcher (1999)
Sunshine (1999)
The Swan (1956)
Titanic (1997)
To the Lighthouse (1983)
Unsinkable Molly Brown (1964)
Upstairs, Downstairs (1971-75)
When the Whales Came (1989)
Where Angels Fear to Tread (1991)
Wings of the Dove (1997)
Winslow Boy (1999)
Zoya (1995)

22 comments:

  1. I've seen about twenty of the ones you've listed. My favorite of all of them? Probably Forsyte Saga: To Let. I'll have to find Manor House, it would be lovely to learn more about the era! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooohhh, great list, thanks for putting it together! I've seen probably a dozen or so on this list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this time period too. The best clothes imo. How about adding the House of Elliot series and Anne of Green Gables (technically the books were a bit earlier but the video series pushed it into this period).

    Great collection!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the Edwardian Era! I was thinking Anne of Green Gables too, her poufy hair is something I can't help but associate with this time period.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I highly recommend the film Cheri - if you haven't seen it - with Michelle Pfeiffer and Rupert Friend. The costumes are divine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Katherine,
    I found Manor House (aka Edwardian Country House) to be insightful! (even though it's a reality show)

    @JaneGS
    added Anne! Thought it was only the 3rd film (ick) that was considered part of this era but realize the first 2 also would fall into those years!

    @Christy
    Love the actors but I can't bring myself to post about that film on my blog due to its storyline :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. dI've seen about 20. My favorite by far was Wings of the Dove, though I also loved Miss Potter and Neverland.

    And I loved House of Eliot!

    ReplyDelete
  8. AAARrrghhh!! How could I forget Room With a View????? One of my favorite books AND movies of all time!!! But definitely the 1985 version, far superior to the 2007 remake.

    Well, Wings of the Dove also stars Helena Bonham Carter, which is probably why I was confused.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another good one is the Duchess of Duke Street.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Eight for me, I think:

    Angel (2007)
    Anne of Green Gables
    Color Purple (1985)
    Downton Abbey (2010)
    Dr. Zhivago (2002)
    Legends of the Fall (1994)
    Michael Collins (1996)
    Titanic (1997)

    Two of them have Sam Neill in (Angel and Zhivago'02)! :D

    Michael Collins is actually one of my favourite films as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. @JaneGS
    @Karenlibrarian,
    I've heard great things about House of Elliot but it's set in 1920's which we take it past this timeframe? I do find the years for what is considered to be Edwardian to be ambivalent so correct me if I'm wrong!

    @Katherine, I've added Duchess of Duke Street which wasn't included in my source list. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Goodness, I have to say that I have seen 3/4 of these films. Haven't seen Angel with Romola Garai but as soon as it is on Netflix, it will be mine.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Miss Potter, Anne of Green Gables,No Greater Love are favorites. The one that makes my heart glow is Somewhere in Time!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've seen about fifteen or so of the listed films. But that's natural, since I am an Edwardian era buff. *g*

    ReplyDelete
  15. @Charleybrown: The House of Eliott is set after WWI and the 1920s, so yes, it is outside of the Edwardian era (which ends in 1914, the start of WWI).

    ReplyDelete
  16. @Evangeline,
    Thanks for clarifying! I've found different answers for what years define the Edwardian era which has been somewhat confusing. I changed it on this post to be 1901-1914.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love them all,my fav is "The imposrtance of being Earnest." you've miss An Ideal Husband.It's one of my fav movie.

    ReplyDelete
  18. @Miss.Luxie
    An Ideal Husband is listed with the Victorian films.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Mary Poppins was a childhood favorite of mine! I've yet to see Sherlock Holmes - the original or the sequel! Great list.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I can't remember the exact year, but one of my favorite movies is Mansfield Park. Consider adding it to your collection. A remarkable, and historically acurate, work of fictional film. :-) Special features are REMARKABLE!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I miss Road to Avonlea. My all time favourit.

    ReplyDelete

I HAVE RETIRED FROM THE BLOG AND WILL NO LONGER BE DOING UPDATES. THANKS!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Latest Posts