The Laendler - Period Drama Dancing Montage

Just came across this lovely video!!

Created by Miss Aspka who describes it in the following way:

This video is a tribute to my favourite movie, Rodgers & Hammerstein's "The Sound of Music". It features the song "The Laendler" against a backdrop of romantic period movie dancing scenes.

I wanted to tell the story of that defining moment where, through the magic of dance and music, the two people suddenly "realise" their true feelings for one another.

In order of movie appearance:

- Becoming Jane
- Emma (BBC 2009)
- The Sound of Music
- Anne of Green Gables (The Sequel)
- The Young Victoria
- Pride & Prejudice (2005)
- Stardust
- Anne of Green Gables
- Onegin
- The King & I
- Pride & Prejudice (BBC 1995)
- Daniel Deronda
- North & South
- Sense & Sensibility (1995)
- Emma (1996)


  1. That was really cute and enjoyable. But you know, of all the dances, that one from the Sound of Music is still the most romantic. And not just because it was the actual Laendler.

  2. 'The Sound of Music' clips stood out for me as well! Perhaps because their story is not fictional:)

  3. Very interesting! I love the 19th century!

    Amy B.

    PS: Check out my blog, where the newest post is all about the first part of BBC TV adaption of 'Jane Eyre' screencaps, in high definition! Part 2, perhaps, will come tomorrow, so look forward!

  4. Yes, I have to agree, The Sound of Music is just the best! Rodgers and Hammerstein blended the Laendler into the story beautifully, and the whole movie is full of memorable songs. I think that the movie will be as popular in another forty five years as it is now.

  5. Your favorite movie? Mine too!

    Actually, the Laendler is a lot close to the dances in period films than you might think - I believe Leonard Bernstein gave the translation as being 'from the land,' meaning, basically, a country dance. You can see a lot of similarities in the steps of the country dances done in Jane Austen films.

    The clips from one of those films...I think it might be The Young Victoria?...are so similar to the Laendler scene that it almost looks ripped off! :)

  6. Elizabeth,
    actually the quote stating its her favourite movie is from Miss Apska but it does rank high among my faves as well! I did notice the similar moves in The Young Victoria which I thought was touching!

    I've currently lent my Sound of Music DVD to a friend and I'm waiting for her to experience what it's all about!!



Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Latest Posts