Zampires Begone!

I'm reluctant to post about these novels which take beloved classics and throw in a monster or two and attempt to amuse readers and cash in on the popularity of classic authors.

You can pick your monster of choice whether it be
zombie/vampire/werewolf/sea monster/mummy/demon/robot/etc.

I don't wish to draw any more attention to these monster mashups but find I can't ignore that they're out there! Perhaps by confronting them dead on, they'll go away??

I didn't see any mashups involving robots with Jane Austen (yet) but there is this site which I linked to previously where you can create your own robotic animated version of anything you like, in this case a scene from P&P between Elizabeth and Darcy!

I also mentioned these book possibilities in an earlier post but I thought they were quite amusing and worth mentioning again here. Vic, at Jane Austen Today had suggestions for her own monster sequels. I believe she's still open to taking requests from interested publishers :)

By the way, "zampires" is a term I've heard used by my friend, 'the Manchester Maniac' to refer to any of the above monsters but especially to the zombies and vampires. I do think she's taking her own name too seriously and developed an affection for these novels much to my horror. *exasperated sigh*

Here's the current list of Monster Mashups that I've noticed:
Pride & Prejudice & Zombies,
Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters,
Dawn of the Dreadfuls,
Android Karenina,
Mansfield Park and Mummies,
Jane Bites Back,
Little Vampire Women,
Little Women and Werewolves,
Henry VIII: Wolfman,
Jane Slayre,
Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter,
Queen Victoria, Demon Hunter
Mr. Darcy, Vampyre

What do you think? Are you a fan or not?


  1. Well, I think they are dreadful! But I suppose I should think that if it turns somebody on to classical literature, it's a good thing. My daughter (who has not read any Austen and falls asleep everytime I put on P&P jokingly(?!) said she might like to read P&P and Zombies!
    Gaaahh!! What is this world coming to!!!

  2. I have read P&P and Zombies and found it to be quite amuzing. The writer, Seth Grahame-Smith, did a very good job in keeping the language true to Austen and was faithful to the story (well, as faithful as you could be). My expectations were low, but as a huge Austen fan, I just couldn't pass up on an opportunity to see someone elses take on her work. That being said, I read S&S and Seamonsters, and I wasn't nearly as amused. The story was just way too out there and the editing was horrible both for grammar and consistency. They should at least be able to get the name of the house right each time it is mentioned. S&S and Seamonsters was written by a different author (can't remember the name). A friend is reading Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter and is thoroughly enjoying it, but again, that book is written by Seth Grahame-Smith.
    If you're looking for a easy, fun, and entertaining book to read, I highly recommend P&P and Zombies.

  3. This is really one of the weirdest subgenres ever. I know writers have been borrowing from each other forever (see Shakespeare's Collected Works), but I wonder whether this subgenre is anything more than marketing hoopla or if it really reflects the diverse taste of classics readers.

  4. I agree - these things are awful. And so odd. I know it's intended to be some sort of homage to Jane Austen, but I can't help thinking she'd be horrified.

  5. I think they're lots of fun... bring on the movie versions I say! :)

  6. Hi from Halifax!

    First time visitor to your blog - found you via Nat's blog.

    I tried reading P&P & Zombies-I couldn't get into it at all. It was just too weird for me - no other way to put it.

    Looking forward to reading through past posts and future ones too!

  7. Thanks for all your comments everyone! As I expected, we have varied reactions to these books!

    tyme_4_t, glad you dropped by! Nice to hear from a fellow Canadian!



Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Latest Posts