Love Never Dies - Phantom sequel

Sequels to blockbusters can be a tricky thing. The Phantom of the Opera is iconic and one of theatre's greatest success stories. Andrew Lloyd Webber and Glenn Slater have resurrected the story with a new musical that reprises the story of Christine and the Phantom 10 years later at New York City's Coney Island.

Starring Ramin Karimloo as the Phantom and Sierra Boggess as Christine.

“The Phantom of the Opera”, based on the French novel by Gaston Leroux, has proved a huge success the world over and has been seen by over 100 million people, making it the single most successful entertainment entity in history. The show has been translated into 15 languages and appeared in over 25 different countries including China, Brazil, Poland and Korea. “The Phantom of the Opera” opened at Her Majesty’s Theatre in London on 9 October 1986 starring Sarah Brightman and Michael Crawford and celebrates its 23rd London birthday tomorrow on 9 October. “The Phantom of the Opera” won a staggering 50 awards worldwide, whilst global album sales currently stand at over 40 million copies.

The World Premiere of “LOVE NEVER DIES” will take place in London on 9 March 2010 at the Adelphi Theatre. Previews begin on 20 February. The show will then premiere in New York on 11 November 2010 and in Australia in 2011.

The “LOVE NEVER DIES” album was completed in September 2009 and will be released on Wednesday, 10 March 2010, the day after the World Premiere in London. (source)

>>official site for Love Never Dies
>>wikipedia article
>>article about lead actor Ramin Karimloo
>>Youtube channel for Love Never Dies
>>read one review by West End Whingers

Video of "Til I Hear You Sing'


  1. I'm wondering if I will detest this as much or more than the film version of the original musical. I just wish they would leave the original stage musical as is.

  2. So glad you posted about LND. Love it/Hate it. I have yet to decide...I loved the original. I love almost all of the music I have heard from it though.

  3. I can't offer an opinion as I haven't seen Phantom. I've heard of some who have loved the stage musical. The costumes from the movie look awesome but I've never experienced it myself.

  4. I'm intrigued--would love to see it in NY next year...

  5. Ah Jane, you're lucky! I would love to see ANY show on Broadway one day!

  6. I saw the Swedish version of Phantom probably about 15 years ago and have always liked it. Have tickets to see LND next week! :)

  7. This is where the purist in me battles the romanticist. "Phantom" is one of my favorite books, yet I loved the musical so much I was able to look past how drastically they adapted the book. So imagine my struggles in trying to figure out HOW they can continue this story (especially as the phantom dies at the end of the book, I guess conveniently he didn't in the musical) while I'm aching to hear some great musical music again. Especially from ALW. I just wonder what they're going to do with the love story. Too many people out there who felt Raoul "got in the way." Oh, not so!!!! Read the book, and you'll see how truly twisted the phantom is and how the musical glamorized and glorified him.

    Sorry. I'll step off my soapbox now. Thanks for the info!

  8. I do wonder why I haven't seen POTP before now after hearing of so many who love this story. I do hope that Love Never Dies doesn't disappoint the fans!

  9. I just previewed the soundtrack on iTunes. Of course I just heard snippets of the songs but based on that, all I can say is: Oh Andrew, I'm so disappointed in you!

    This is why people should leave classics alone - don't mess with them or add on to them because it'll just drag a great thing down.

    Such a pity as I am quite passionate about the original PTO and have been so since I was 4 years old (when it first came out).
    Love Never Dies does not do it justice. :(

  10. Oh dear, EB, I get the feeling that a lot of POTP fans aren't happy about the sequel. Could we just pretend it doesn't exist?? I'm not a POTP expert but I feel your pain!

  11. I read over the plot on Wikipedia (I know it's not always reliable) and needless to say, I'm going to pretend it doesn't exist. While the song clip is GORGEOUS, the plot is soooooo not in keeping with the original POTO.

  12. Oh no, add Alexandra to the list as another dissatisfied fan. I feel for all of you who know and love the original.



Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Latest Posts