Art of Jean-Honoré Fragonard

Jean-Honoré Fragonard
French
1732 - 1806

I love discovering an artist that I hadn't heard of but realize that I've come across the paintings of Fragonard more than once! I've admired his painting 'The Reader' many times and seen it used on several book blogs! I heard his name used in reference to the upcoming Rapunzel remake as they mentioned that they wanted their animation to emulate his style as shown in his famed painting 'The Swing'. I'm fascinated by his collection of paintings 'Progress of Love' and the richness of his colour and style! Then I came across this museum that has a room decorated with his paintings - awesome!

[Link to virtual tour of Frick collection of Fragonard's paintings]





The Reader

Progress of Love, Fragonard's collection of 4 paintings:
The Pursuit, The Meeting, Love Letters & The Lover Crowned.
Read more about paintings here

The Pursuit


The Meeting


Love Letters


The Lover Crowned



Stolen Kiss

Also titled 'Stolen Kiss'


Gardens of Villa Este



The Love Letter


Good Mother

The Swing




Here is yet another painting titled 'The Swing' as well as its companion painting 'Blind Man's Bluff'











>>>more paintings by other artists in
Art Gallery


5 comments:

  1. Stunning. I could stare at these for hours. Many people use "The Reader" as their avatar on Goodreads but I was unaware of the artist until now. Thank you for this wonderful post!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh thank you so much for collecting these pictures in ONE post ! I have looked at these for quite a while now - and I am always again and again enchanted by the femininity and delicacy of these paintings. The detail and artistry which goes into painting fabric and lace like this !!! Very yummy eye candy indeed. Kind regards, Martina

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had an art history friend in college, and I remember her telling me all about The Swing, so it was fun to see it again. Great post--v enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very beautiful, fanciful and lush. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for your comments!
    I was surprised to find his various paintings! I thought the Reader had a different style than his other paintings so wouldn't have thought it to be the same artist but his work definitely caught my eye!

    ReplyDelete

I HAVE RETIRED FROM THE BLOG AND WILL NO LONGER BE DOING UPDATES. THANKS!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Latest Posts