Sound of Music - the real Maria (continued)




Just came across a video of Julie Andrews and the real Maria Von Trapp as well as a radio interview that Maria did with CBC in Canada when she visited Expo in 1967.

I'm posting some pictures that I took while visiting Stowe, Vermont, which was Maria's home once she left Austria and moved to the United States.




Julie Andrews chats with Maria Von Trapp
on the set of "The Sound of Music"


A short interview with Maria in 1967
>>listen to radio interview



Maria von Trapp appearing on 'The Julie Andrew Hour' in 1973


Trapp Family Lodge in Stowe, Vermont

Mural inside lodge showing von Trapp family tree


We got a thrill in 1975 when our family got to meet her!
(I think she was happy that we knew her story and were not just there to look for Julie Andrews. That's me on the left looking unimpressed but I definitely was in awe at the time!)


Took my daughter to Stowe in 1996. This chapel is built up the mountain from the lodge.We climbed a steep, narrow path to get to it so I wondered how they managed to construct it back in 1950. Werner von Trapp built it in thanksgiving for his safe return from wartime service.

The final resting place of Maria and the Captain...

A view looking down into the valley from the lookout at the Trapp Family Lodge

Back: Eleanore, George, Maria, Johannes, Johanna, Hedwig
Front: Agathe, Werner, Martina, Rosemarie, Maria, Rupert
(taken in 1942)

Maria, Rosemarie, Eleanore, Johanna, Martina, Agathe, Hedwig
with Fr. Franz Wazner

Did you know?
In the 1950s the family sold the rights to their story to a German company, which would make two films about them. The German producers then sold the rights to a team of producers who worked with songwriters Richard Rodgers and Oscar Hammerstein to create the Broadway musical The Sound of Music. The Hollywood film studio Twentieth Century Fox then made the musical into a 1965 film starring Julie Andrews and Christopher Plummer.

The real von Trapps had no input into nor made any money from the enormously successful musical and movie.



(I loved this book by Julia Hirsch with a "behind the scenes" look at the movie)
>>The Sound of Music: The Making of America's Favorite Movie

>>Timeline of Trapp Family at the Lodge's website


>>>SOUND OF MUSIC INDEX
(Read more about the real Maria,
updates on child actors from film, etc)



4 comments:

  1. Beautiful pictures!

    One of the von Trapp "children" (she's in her 70s) and her husband are friends of mine and my husband, and they are really neat Christian people who have been through a lot and keep on keepin' on. I have enormous respect for them.

    I have always loved this musical, so when I got to know them about 12 years ago, I think I riddled her with questions. LOL! She was and is so gracious to me, and now I know the rest of the von Trapp story, and it is so interesting. For anyone reading this blog entry, you will not be disppointed to check out more of their story.

    Oh, and Charleybrown, I am really enjoying your blog. I was not a huge period drama lover, but I think I'm being converted by all of the great pieces you post here. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome, Thanks so much for sharing. I love their story.

    http://muse-in-the-fog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a HUGE fan of the movie The Sound of Music as well as the family's real story, I am GREEN WITH ENVY that you got to meet Maria von Trapp!!!!! She's been gone now since 1987, and I only wish I'd developed this interest sooner so it might have been possible for me to have met her, too! I went to the Trapp Family Lodge in Stowe, VT, in 2004, and want to go again!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @bzirk
    That's so neat that you are friends with one of the von Trapp's. I can imagine she would have plenty to share! Glad you like the blog, my goal is to convert everyone! :)

    @muse
    You're welcome! I love their story too!

    @LATN
    I'm so glad that you got to visit Stowe! It's a great way for us to connect with this family that feels like our own!

    ReplyDelete

I HAVE RETIRED FROM THE BLOG AND WILL NO LONGER BE DOING UPDATES. THANKS!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Latest Posts