Sandy Powell - costume designer

A costume designer who has had her hand in creating some of the most beautiful costumes in period dramas, Sandy Powell is definitely being welcomed into my Hall of Fame! She has been nominated seven times for an Academy Award and won twice for Costume Design for "Shakespeare in Love" and "Aviator". Here's hoping that she's recognized for her work this year for "The Young Victoria"!

Here are some of the costumes that she's helped bring to the screen.

Beginning with The Young Victoria...

Made from silk organdie embroidered
with roses around the hem over yellow silk taffeta.



My ONLY complaint with the film is that the wedding scene was too brief.
This wedding dress is fit for a queen! Oh wait, she is one!!



Made from silk with original antique blond lace
around the neck and sleeves.



I adore all the costumes in the film but this one is one of my favourites!
The dress is made from a silk embroidered with flowers. The fabric is original Victorian
and came in very narrow lengths so they had to match the background colour
with another fabric to make up the dress.


Aviator
(Oscar award for Costume Design)


Far From Heaven


Gangs of New York


Interview with a Vampire


Michael Collins


Orlando


Other Boleyn Girl (King Henry)

Other Boleyn Girl (Anne Boleyn)

Other Boleyn Girl (Mary Boleyn)


Miss Julie


Sylvia


Wings of a Dove


Shakespeare in Love
(Oscar award for Costume Design)

2 comments:

  1. The costumes for Wings of a Dove might be my favorite she has done, but all her work is phenomenal. I'll have my fingers crossed for her Oscar night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't seen Wings of a Dove in so long. I'll have to notice the costumes the next time I watch it!

    ReplyDelete

I HAVE RETIRED FROM THE BLOG AND WILL NO LONGER BE DOING UPDATES. THANKS!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Latest Posts