The Painted Veil (2006)

Sometimes the greatest journey
is the distance between two people...

The Painted Veil is a love story set in the 1920s that tells the story of a young English couple, Walter, a middle class doctor and Kitty, an upper-class woman, who get married for the wrong reasons and relocate to Shanghai, where she falls in love with someone else. When he uncovers her infidelity, in an act of vengeance, he accepts a job in a remote village in China ravaged by a deadly epidemic, and takes her along. Their journey brings meaning to their relationship and gives them purpose in one of the most remote and beautiful places on earth.

Based on book by Somerset W. Maugham
(reference to poem by Percy Bysshe Shelley)

Cast:Naomi Watts, Edward Norton, Liev Schreiber, Diana Riggs, Toby Jones

IMDb
Naomi Watts and Liev Schreiber are a couple in real life so I've added them to:
"It's All Relative" (Celebrity couples and relatives in period films)

Interview on Youtube:


Trailer:



































6 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed this movie, though it didn't really have much of a cinema run here. Edward Norton is pretty reliable and Naomi Watts very convincing. I liked watching them rediscovering themselves

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a film I loved. It is in my DVD collection. A good adaptation of W. Somerset Maugham.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I own this DVD too! It is such a beautiful film, it makes me want to visit China, and I've never felt an inclination to go their before.
    I do love romances where the couple fall in love after their marriage, but it's much more interesting a story than just that! I really bought this movie to show my daughter because she likes Edward Norton and I knew she would be interested in his character's career as it is somewhat similar to what she is studying in University.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is one of those movies that keeps playing in my head days after seeing it! I did enjoy seeing them find their way back to each other!

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a great post! this is exactly the type of stuff that i love looking at and reading about. thank you :)

    ReplyDelete

I HAVE RETIRED FROM THE BLOG AND WILL NO LONGER BE DOING UPDATES. THANKS!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Latest Posts