One degree of separation...

The Brady Bunch ~ Family Ties ~ Partridge Family ~ The Waltons

Star Trek

What's the common thread of these 4 (make that 5!) television series
that is related to period drama?

Answer: Louisa May Alcott!

Eve Plumb (Jan in Brady Bunch),
Meredith Baxter (Mom in Family Ties)
and Susan Dey (Laurie in Partridge Family)
played Beth, Meg and Jo March respectively in a series of Little Women in 1978.

Thanks to Phylly for pointing out that William Shatner (Capt. Kirk in Star Trek)
played Frederick Bauer
in this adaptation. Hmmm, that does sound interesting!

Ellen Corby (Grandma Walton) also was featured in an adaptation of Little Women,
She played Sophie, Mrs. Kirke's maid in the 1949 film that featured June Allyson as Jo.

Meredith Baxter can also be seen in The Inheritance (1997) based on an Alcott novel.

5 comments:

  1. Great post! I loved all those shows and I love all versions of "Little Women". I had forgotten about this version but I think I remember liking it. This clip is good, it would be nice to see more. I think this might be the version where William Shatner plays Prof. Bauer. I remember thinking it would be silly and then I was pleasantly surprised! He was quite good too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for mentioning that Phylly! I haven't seen any of the older versions but curious to see Shatner in action!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mom and I actually quite enjoyed that adaptation of Little Women. It was funny seeing actors from popular TV shows in the period roles. I was prepared to dislike William Shatner as the German professor but he actually did a fine job and it was probably my favorite role of his. The film made me cry, a sign that it was well done, a bit melodramatic at times but fun and sweet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a weird LW that would have been! Seems like a SNL approach to LW.

    I was a big Family Ties fan, and I do love The Waltons.

    Great trivia post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm surprised that I didn't hear of it at the time since it features so many known actors! I would think it would be hard to separate them from their other roles?

    ReplyDelete

I HAVE RETIRED FROM THE BLOG AND WILL NO LONGER BE DOING UPDATES. THANKS!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Latest Posts