Julie Andrews

She has charmed us as 'Mary Poppins' and she brought to life the true story of Maria von Trapp in the unforgettable 'The Sound of Music' (my two favourite roles of hers).

Julie Andrews has always been the epitome of grace...and she's the latest Dame to be entered into my Hall of Fame.

This image of Julie found at Diva Wallpapers

Not entirely sure of how others in this room could have withstood the awesome factor
brought about by these two classy ladies - Julie Andrews with Audrey Hepburn

My Fair Lady (Broadway) with Rex Harrison, 1956

Julie starred in Rodger and Hammerstein's 'Cinderella' in 1957
watch on Youtube

'Camelot' with Richard Burton, 1960

Mary Poppins (1964)

I loved hearing how Walt Disney wanted Julie for the part of Mary Poppins
and approached her while she was performing on Broadway in Camelot.
She declined because she was pregnant but Disney insisted saying, "We'll wait for you."
(shown with daughter Emma and the children from Mary Poppins)

The Sound of Music, 1965

Julie starred in James Michener's 'Hawaii' in 1966,
watch on Youtube

Julie in her younger years

With daughter Emma

Julie and her husband Blake Edwards


  1. She has always been one of my favorite actresses. When I was little Marry Poppins was a favorite and I remember being entranced by her in The Sound of Music. Magnificent woman.

  2. I also adore her book, Mandie. A teacher read it to me in school and I just fell in love with it. I am happy to own a cassette copy of her reading it!

  3. Muse, I totally agree!

    SMiles, I didn't know she had written that one. To hear her reading it must be just lovely!

  4. I grew up singing songs from Mary Poppins and The Sound of Music. I wanted to be just like Julie Andrews. I even sang lullabies to my children from those shows! The best compliment I ever got was when my little son called my "Phylly" Andrews!!!

  5. I love Julie Andrews, too. My mom and I thought it fitting she was made a queen in "Princess Diaries"--and was, of course, perfect royalty!

  6. Phylly, so if Julie can't show up, we'll know who to call!

    Heidi, I loved her in Princess Diaries! Who wouldn't want Julie Andrews to teach you how to be a princess!

  7. I will be forever grateful that I got to see her perform in the revival of Victor Victoria in 1996, the summer before she lost her incredible voice. It was one of the theatrical highlights of my life, and I've been privileged to see an enormous amount of phenomenal theater.



Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Latest Posts