Bright Star - Charles Armitage Brown

"I failed John Keats.
I did not know til now how tightly he wound himself around my heart."
-quote by Mr. Brown from 'Bright Star' screenplay

Twenty years after Keats' death, Brown writes about his friend John Keats:
As a critic on his poems, I confess myself incapable. I have purposely refrained from the task. While alive to their beauties, I am conscious of not being so to their faults. Time has not allayed my admiration. To dwell alone upon the beauties of his works is ample joy, and I seek not to have it diminished. Upon this subject I have but one observation to offer: he was, from the first day he became a poet, in progressive improvement. To this his poems bear witness. How high, had he not been destroyed by hirelings or disease, his genius might have soared, is a thought that at once exalts and depresses me.

Paul Schneider who portrays Brown has mentioned how it was Bright Star director Jane Campion that inspired him to go into filmmaking. After seeing The Piano, her celebrated 1993 film, Schneider knew he “wanted to be around movies” and kept the ticket stub for the film as a reminder. He loved it so much because it was the first film he’d seen that was the result of “commerce and art married.”

Interview...

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I HAVE RETIRED FROM THE BLOG AND WILL NO LONGER BE DOING UPDATES. THANKS!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Latest Posts