Bertie and Elizabeth (2002) - more pics

I revisited this British Royal biopic the other night and although it's a bit rough around the edges, I still found it enjoyable to watch the events unfold as they did back in the 1930's when King Edward VIII abdicated, forcing his unprepared brother to take over. I loved seeing the loving, supportive relationship between Bertie and Elizabeth and how together they helped shape Britain for the years that followed. I felt that some of the characters were over-dramatized for the purposes of this tv movie or at least I hope they were. For instance, I found David to be portrayed as selfish and immature and I thought that the real King Edward had more virtues than displayed in this drama.

All in all, I would recommend it especially if you share an interest in the British Monarchy. I have to admit that I rewatched this partly due to the fact that there's another film due for release this year featuring Colin Firth and Helena Bonham Carter as 'Bertie and Elizabeth' in The King's Speech. It was fun to see a scene in this film with George and his speech therapist Lionel Logue, since that relationship is the primary focus of the new film.

>>original post on Bertie and Elizabeth
>>more British Royalty Films


James Wilby as King George VI (Bertie)


Juliet Aubrey as Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon


Charles Edwards as King Edward VIII (David)


Alan Bates as King George V


Eileen Atkins as Queen Mary


Barbara Leigh-Hunt as Lady Mabel Airlie


Elisabeth Dermot Walsh as future Queen Elizabeth II














3 comments:

  1. I need to rewatch this - it's been years since I've seen it. Thanks for the reminder. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so enjoyed this film, I watched it last week (I think). It was just such a sweet and personal look at the royal family! Lovely photos! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ruth,
    I love re-watching films after a time since it's like seeing it for the first time. I hardly remembered it even though it only came out 7 years ago!

    Laurie, it was sweet wasn't it? Over time, I've realized that the kings and queens weren't always as noble as I had thought but King George and Queen Elizabeth certainly exhibited grace and character!

    ReplyDelete

I HAVE RETIRED FROM THE BLOG AND WILL NO LONGER BE DOING UPDATES. THANKS!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Latest Posts