Upcoming Films - Dec. 12/09

Nowhere Boy (2009)
A chronicle of John Lennon's childhood. Featuring Kristin Scott Thomas, Aaron Johnson, Anne-Marie Duff, David Morrissey. view trailer


Heidi Thomas is said to be working on a screenplay of Edith Wharton's novel for the BBC Films

BBC is planning a biopic of Aung San Suu Kyi, winner of Nobel Peace Prize in 1991, still imprisoned under house arrest in Myanmar. Michelle Yeoh (Memoirs of a Geisha, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon) is set to star.

Michelle Yeoh

Pride & Prejudice & Zombies (2011)
Seems official that Natalie Portman will be taking on the role of Elizabeth Bennett. Oh dear.

Far From the Madding Crowd (2010)
BBC Films has hired David Nichols to adapt Thomas Hardy's novel

Tamara Drewe (2011)
Loosely based on 'Far From the Madding Crowd', Stephen Frears is directing Gemma Arterton as the 'modern' Bathsheba. Also features Dominic Cooper, Tamsin Grieg.

Swallows and Amazons (2010)
BBC Films is adapting the Arthur Ransome classic
(read more here)

Peter Pan in Scarlet (2012)
BBC Films adapting the sequel written by Geraldine McCaughrean

Stephen Fry writing screenplay for biopic of composer Handel for BBC Films

1776 (2011)
Tom Hanks who produced John Adams, is collaborating with HBO again to make 1776 based on David McCullough's book. source

The Bear and the Bow (2011)
Disney-Pixar film will feature the voices of Reese Witherspoon, Billy Connolly, Emma Thompson and Julie Walters. (
Pixar's first fairy tale, is a combination of writer Brenda Chapman's love of Hans Christian Andersen and the Brothers Grimm)

Leonie (2009)
A film about the life and relationships of the early 20th American educator, editor, and journalist Leonie Gilmour, the mother of the acclaimed artist and architect Isamu Noguchi. Starring Emily Mortimer

These are recently added films, read complete list here:


  1. We will bear well the zombies if only for the sheer talent of Miss Portman. All else seem fun enough so now I bid you well.
    Warmest Regards,

  2. Oh, dear. What is this thing with casting American girls in British roles? Anne Hathaway did fine as Jane, but Olivia Williams made me feel deeply for her in Miss Austen Regrets. Sigh. I guess after Gwyneth Paltrow's Oscar for Viola, they decided an American girl would do. I'm just not sure I follow.

  3. Simone, I don't want to hear about this movie but I fear that Natalie Portman might suck me into it!

    Meg, I don't like the casting of Americans as Brits as often as it happens either. Sometimes it works and I guess they do it to sell to American audiences but it's been nice to discover British actresses too! Claire Foy and Ruth Wilson spring to mind!

  4. I'm excited to hear about a new Far from the Madding Crowd, as it is one of my all-time favourites, but wondering just how modern it will be? Also it doesn't seem all that long since the fine TV version with Nat Parker as Gabriel and Paloma Baeza as Bathsheba in 1998! You do a great job of keeping up with all the news of these new productions, Charley.

  5. John Adams was so incredibly good that I think 1776 might be the one I'm most excited about. Hallelujah is also promising.

    I'll be a fuddy-duddy and pass on the P&P&Z. My feelings on this is that fueling the Austen train means that there might still be a chance that we'll get adaptations of Sanditon, Lady Susan, and The Watsons someday...not to mention a decent MP and a definitive Emma.

  6. I wish they'd remake Far From The Madding Crowd as a period movie. *pout* It's such an awesome book!

  7. Judy and Sandy, I read that FFTMC is one of David Nichol's favourite books among other classics so I do believe he will give it the proper treatment! I didn't read anything on BBC Films indicating that it would be modern. (only the Tamara Drewe film) [If you click on David's name above, I added the link to info about him] I've yet to see Gabriel and Paloma but hope to!

    Jane, I did enjoy John Adams! I loved finding out more about your country's history but I don't know if I will enjoy 1776 as much since it seems to focus primarily on war. We'll see. As for PP&Z, not my cup of tea either!



Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Latest Posts