Jane Eyre (2011)

Upcoming adaptation of Jane Eyre
starring Mia Wasikowska & Michael Fassbender
Directed by Cary Fukunaga.

> Image gallery 1 (Screencaps from trailer)
Costume designer -Michael O'Connor (previous work includes: The Duchess, Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day, Eagle of the Ninth, Wallis and Edward)

Screenwriter - Moira Buffini appeared on the 2008 Brit List, a film-industry-compiled list of the best unproduced screenplays in British film. As a founder member of the Monsterists, she advocates big, imaginative plays rather than naturalistic soap opera dramas.

Top: Jane Eyre (2 images), Rochester, St. John
Middle: Mrs. Fairfax, Blanche Ingram, Mrs. Reed, Adele
Bottom: Mary Rivers, Diana Rivers, Young Jane, Helen Burns

Michael Fassbender - Edward Rochester
(Centurion, Angel, Inglorious Basterds)

Mia Wasikowska - Jane Eyre
(Alice in Wonderland)

Judi Dench - Mrs. Fairfax
(previously seen in everything!)

Sally Hawkins - Mrs. Reed
(2007 Persuasion , The Young Visiters)

Imogene Poots - Blanche Ingram
(Miss Austen Regrets, Centurion, Cracks)

Jamie Bell - St. John
(Nicholas Nickleby, Eagle of the Ninth)

Sophie Ward - Lady Ingram
She played Isabella Linton in 1992 Wuthering Heights

Tamzin Merchant - Mary Rivers
(2005 Pride & Prejudice, The Tudors, Princess Kaiulani)

Holly Grainger - Diana Rivers
(Robin Hood, Bel Ami)

Jayne Wisener - Bessie
(Sweeney Todd)

Simon McBurney - Brocklehurst
(Harry Potter, The Duchess, The Golden Compass)

Rosie Cavaliero - Grace Poole
(Mrs. Plornish in Little Dorrit)

Harry Lloyd - Richard Mason
(Robin Hood, claim to fame: great-great-great-grandson of author Charles Dickens)

Sandy McDade - Miss Scratcherd
(Lark Rise to Candleford)

Freya Parks - Helen Burns
(Etty Darwin in Creation)

Michael Fassbender mentions at the beginning of this interview, his upcoming role as Mr. Rochester in the upcoming 'Jane Eyre' opposite Mia Wasikowska...

Find more videos like this on AnneCam

Cast photos: from Focus Features official site


  1. Why can't they make "Villette"? It would be a lovely story to watch.


  2. We shall have to wait and see if he makes a good Rochester. I'm not putting my hopes up too much, but... oh well, we shall see.

    @Nat: I'd love to see "Villette". I've not read it (yet), but it's on the to-do list!

  3. I'm also curious to read Villette from what others have said!

  4. There are a lot of adaptations of the 'popular' classics and while I too question the need for more, I know Im probably going to check this one out as well. Besides, I actually really like Michael Fassbender.

  5. @DD I agree that I will probably be curious to see it when it's done but I can't help but think of how much better it would be if the time, effort and money to produce this were used to bring us something new!

  6. I really really really wish they would redo Villette!

  7. To me, the '06 version with Toby Stephens and Ruth Wilson is as close to perfect as a Jane Eyre adaptation can get. I, too, wish filmmakers would stop remaking the same classics over and over. Having said all that, yes I will most likely see this when it comes out.

  8. Probably for the same reason we need more David Copperfields or Oliver Twists...lack of imagination. I would love to see a decent biopic of the Brontes rather than another JE.

  9. Adapt Villette - check!
    Toby & Ruth rock - check!
    Bronte biopic - check!

    I agree with the above comments!

    BBC, are YOU listening??!!

  10. Oh!I wish they would :)
    Anyway, BBC rules at classic movies/adaptations. I also agree with Jane Eyre with Toby and Ruth - it was the best ever that I have watched :) I would also like to see Villette and The Profesor but noone tried that until now :) the books are lovely

  11. Hmmm, this should be interesting. As much as I groan and think to myself "not this one again" you know I'm going to see it just as soon as humanly possible.
    Unfortunatly it seems like only "popular" classics get made into movies. Ones that will draw the crowds of people who have only read the wikipedia page, the less well known ones almost never get the big money to make it to the big screen. too bad.

  12. The modern regurgitated Harlequin Romance versions of this novel make me viscerally ill. The 2006 "adaptation" was a fetid, semi-solid, steaming pile of moose excrement, and anyone who thinks it was faithful to the novel is a mentally deficient, Twilight-ogling troglodyte.

    Thank you, good night.

  13. Jenn, I'm sorry that you feel sick. Hope your health improves soon!

  14. Leaving all the whines about other potential adaptations behind, I would just like to say that I am BEYOND excited about this movie. I have been tracking the progress of this movie for a while, all the way back to when they were considering Ellen Page for Jane. However, I think the casting here is fantastic.

    Fassbender has got all the characteristics of a great Rochester...he can be brooding, yet not in a creepy perv way. he's got that shine in his eyes and it'll be interesting to see his interpretation of Rochester.
    Mia is lovely and young, yet brings so much intensity to the table.

    I cannot wait to see this! Will have to reread before it comes out!

  15. I am really excited about this! But even though the costumes look beyond lovely, I am still waiting to see a period accurate Jane Eyre! I know these particular hair and dress styles have become associated with Jane Eyre over time, but even though the book was published in 1847, it was actually set around 1808.

    I have a feeling I'll be waiting a while though!

    Oh, and I would absolutely love to see a movie of Villette!

  16. What im concenrd about is that
    from the trailer it looks like Rochester helps put out the fire. Again.

  17. Looking forward to this! Just a few more days...

  18. I think Michael Fassbender is the most sexy Rochester of all time!
    I haven't seen the movie yet, but I want to so badly! THANKS FOR YOUR BLOG!

  19. For all who have yet to see this film, you're in for a treat. The whole production is unspeakably beautiful, atmospheric, faithful to the novel, and best of all features strong performances from our two leads. Mia Wasikowska and Michael Fassbender lend depth and sensitivity to their roles, and Mia particularly deserves some serious award attention for her portrayal of Jane.

    My only pet peeve was the amount of material that was cut from the film to suit the 2-hour time frame. I'm talking about scenes that were actually filmed, but ended up edited from the theatrical release. So some fellow fans and I have started a petition for a Director's Cut, here:

    We'd sure love your support!

  20. Jane Eyre is surely to be one of the best movies of the year.

  21. I loved this version! The acting, setting, music, pace, etc was all beautiful. I even went with a friend who had no idea what the story was about and loved it.

    As for Villette, I echo everyone else who wants it on screen! I'm just curious if anyone has heard of this 1970 TV version? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0421479/ Was it any good?

  22. I saw this version today and really didn't like it. It may be faithful to the novel, but it was overly dark to the point of being depressing -- and some of the casting and character development was really weak. No comparison to the '06 version. Plus the ending was very anti-climatic. Definitely not worth the investment (as far as the production) when there are other classics that are overdue for an update!

  23. Just saw it today and have to say that I had high hopes before going after hearing great reviews but although it wasn't without merit, it failed to capture my heart. I guess it's hit or miss as I've heard of some who adore the book and felt it was a great adaptation but it never grabbed me like I hoped it would.

  24. I saw it over the weekend as a "Jane Eyre Virgin" and LOVED it.
    I think the chemistry was great between Edward and Jane.. and It made me WANT to watch and read as much Jane Eyre as I can get.

    I watched the BBC 2006 version.. and even though it told more of the story ( since it's 4 hours rather than 2 ) I felt it to lack many of the things I ADORED in the new one.

    I don't care how many times they decide to make this film over.. as long as it's heart-warming and passionate.. and entertaining!!

  25. I'm looking forward to seeing this when it opens in New Zealand. But only because I don't want to miss out on a Jane Eyre. I thought after the version with Toby and Ruth, there be no need for another Jane Eyre. For me, Toby was the perfect Rochester.

    Like others here, I would like to see Villette, but even more so, I'd love to see Shirley. Plenty of action and happy ending so perfect for a movie!



Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Latest Posts