P&P: Comparing characters from 1940, 1995, 2005













E5D7S put some videos together comparing three adaptations of Pride & Prejudice:
~ 1940 Greer Garson & Laurence Olivier
~ 1995 Jennifer Ehle & Colin Firth
~ 2005 Kiera Knightley & Matthew Macfadyen
Thanks for posting these for our enjoyment!

Comparison 1: The characters:
1. Elizabeth 2. Jane and Elizabeth 3. the family 4. Mr Bennet
5. Lydia 6. Mary 7. Mr Bingley 8. Mr Darcy 9. Caroline Bingley
10. Georgiana Darcy (she didn't appear in 1940 version)
11. Mr Wickham 12. Mr Collins 13. Lady Catherine with her daughter Anne.




Comparison 2: The Ballroom Dances
View on Youtube

Comparison 3: Mr. Darcy "She is tolerable"



Modified to add:
Comparison#4 - Elizabeth goes to see Jane

Comparison#5 - Elizabeth at Netherfield

Comparison#6 - Mr. Collins arrives at Longbourne

Comparison#7 - Mr. Collins talks about Lady Catherine

Comparison#8 - Meeting Mr. Wickham

5 comments:

  1. I’m reminded each time I visit your blog how a passion well expressed can inspire. Thanks for sharing, all the very best and a lovely weekend.
    ...And for the record 95 is the one for me but I did like the 05.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, as much as l admire Sir Laurence Olivier and Greer Garson, they did seem a bit old for their roles, especially Ms. Garson!
    The 1995 version shines brightest in all instances although to give the 2005 version credit, it would be difficult, to outdo a 4 hour presentation with a less than 2 hour version.
    In the 1995 version the characters really looked like they came from that era, while the other versions had more of a Hollywood lustre.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, my favourite remains the 1995 version... probably because I watched it when I was a teenager, and it is associated with a whole part of my life. I did like the 2005 version, too... but too short for me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my God, you would LOVE the Taste of Sorrow!

    My boss just sent me a manuscript, "Jane", that is a modern twist on Jane Eyre... Here's what the pitch says:
    A fresh new take on Charlotte Brontë's classic Jane Eyre, with a
    modern-day twist! Hoping to save enough money to be able to return to
    school, Jane, a university dropout-turned nanny, reluctantly accepts a
    position at Thornfield Park working for an iconic rock star on the brink
    of a comeback. She soon becomes entranced by her magnetic and brooding
    employer, and the two find themselves in the midst of an unlikely
    romance until their love is tested by a dark secret from his past.

    I'll let you know if it's any good, though I'm not hoping... But do read the Jude Morgan, it is amazing...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your feedback everyone!!

    ReplyDelete

I HAVE RETIRED FROM THE BLOG AND WILL NO LONGER BE DOING UPDATES. THANKS!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Latest Posts