The Last Station


It’s based on Jay Parini’s 1990 biographical novel about famed Russian writer Leo Tolstoy.

The film focuses on the point in Tolstoy’s (Christopher Plummer) life when he decides to renounce all of his wealth in the name of his new religion. His wife, Sofya (Helen Mirren), finds out that her husband’s disciple Vladimir Chertkov (Paul Giamatti) might have tricked Tolstoy into altering his will and leaving the Russian people all of his assets rather than his family. Sofya grows incredibly angry and desperate to get what’s rightfully hers, but her rage only makes her husband more vulnerable to Chertov’s power of persuasion. In the middle of the battle is Tolstoy’s young assistant, Valentin Bulgakov (James McAvoy), who acts as a pawn for both sides.


Cast:
Christopher Plummer as Leo Tolstoy
Helen Mirren as Sofya Tolstoy, Leo's wife
James McAvoy as Valentin Bulgakov, a naive private secretary sent by Chertkov to work for Tolstoy
Paul Giamatti as Tolstoy's trusted follower Vladimir Chertkov
Anne-Marie Duff as Leo and Sofya's daughter Sasha
Kerry Condon as Masha

* Helen Mirren won the Best Actress award at the 2009 Rome International Film Festival for her performance.

Date of release: U.S. - January 15, U.K. - Feb.19
Sony's official site
Imdb link
Pics found here

>>Interview with Helen Mirren and James McAvoy
>>Interview with director Michael Hoffman

















































More film clips here

9 comments:

  1. I'm looking forward to this one...I just adore James McAvoy!!! ~Lori

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like McAvoy as well but I'm keen to see veterans Mirren and Plummer in action!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, James McAvoy in a new film...that's been a long time coming. Thanks for the heads up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read War and Peace just in 2008, I like James McAvoy ( The last king of Scotland! Atonement! Becoming Jane!) so much. The cast is excellent,of course. Mirren, Giamatti and Plummer are great in this short trailer. I'm sure we'll hear about this period piece during the awards season. It'll come out just in time , it seems. Looking forward to seeing it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, so there are plenty of fans for McAvoy!

    I've yet to see Last King of Scotland but that's one on my 'to-do list'!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks interesting. I love James McAvoy and Helen Mirren.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Woo-hoo, I can't wait to see this one. Plummer, Mirren, McAvoy - what a fantastic cast!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds like a terrific movie--I've always intended to read Tolstoy and about Tolstoy, so now this will motivate me. Plummer and Mirren are wonderful and should be terrific together.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This really does sound like a wonderful film. Can't wait to see it...I hope I don't blink and miss it, if it even makes it to our local video rental store!

    ReplyDelete

I HAVE RETIRED FROM THE BLOG AND WILL NO LONGER BE DOING UPDATES. THANKS!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Latest Posts