Jane Austen and the "Zampires"
















Just found out from Vic at Jane Austen's World, that there is yet another Jane Austen novel being transformed into a horror novel. Norilana Books is about to release "Mansfield Park and Mummies" so as not to be outdone by the success of Pride and Prejudice and Zombies I presume.

Quirk Books, the publishers of PP&Z are not resting idly, they are releasing a prequel "Dawn of the Dreadfuls" in March 2010 although while PP&Z was composed largely of Austen's text, the prequel will be winging it! (And don't forget that the movie rights to PP&Z have already been bought so news of a movie adaptation will be coming soon.)

"Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters" is also produced by Quirk books and if you haven't already seen the book trailer, it's below.

Amanda Grange also added Mr. Darcy, Vampyre to the mix.

Vic, has posted earlier on Jane Austen's World with her own suggestions for more possibilities of Jane Austen horror literature. What about?
Rosemary’s and Henry Tilney’s Baby
Willoughby’s Tell-Tale Heart
Dr. Jekyll and Fanny Price
Persuading Moby
Bride of FrankChurchillStein
Read her full article

Just to be clear, I do not endorse these novels.
I happen to find this whole phenomenon amusing that it's got to this point!



6 comments:

  1. I don't understand the fascination with them either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to ask, have you read Pride and Prejudice and the Zombies? I finally finished it last week. I thought it followed the original text too closely but there were a couple of laughs in it. I wasn't sure to be happy or sad they are making a movie of it!

    I got Sense and Sensibility and the Sea monsters as a freebie from Amazon, it is next in my to read pile. I hope I don't regret it. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not a fan of this genre but I have to admit that some of the excerpts from MP&M made me laugh!

    Spikesbint, you obviously liked the first book enough to read another. I just can't bear the thought in my head of Emma Thompson and Kate Winslet fighting sea monsters!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with you--it's all amusing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well the hardest thing for me to get my head round will be Col Brandon being a sea monster, he reminds me a bit of Davy Jones from Potc but without the hat. I don't think I would have considered reading the next book if I had had to pay for it. Lol. I am looking forward to reading Mr Darcy Vampyre though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read some poor reviews of Darcy Vampyre (from Austen fans who were willing to give it a go). I guess we all have different tastes. I happen to be one of those who isn't into the vampire trend at all. Plus, I have so many classics that I haven't read yet that would be first in line!

    ReplyDelete

I HAVE RETIRED FROM THE BLOG AND WILL NO LONGER BE DOING UPDATES. THANKS!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Latest Posts