goodreads have invited readers at their website to vote for their favourite historical novels. The list is continually being updated based on continuing votes. I see quite a few titles that interest me!!
"Historical fiction are novels that re-create a period or event in history and often use historical figures as some of its characters. To be deemed historical, a novel must have been written at least fifty years after the events described."
1. Memoirs of a Geisha - Arthur Golden
2. Gone with the Wind - Margaret Mitchell
3. The Pillars of the Earth - Ken Follett
4. Outlander - Diana Gabaldon
5. The Other Boleyn Girl - Phillipa Gregory
6. The Red Tent - Anita Diamant
7. The Good Earth - Pearl S. Buck
8. Les Miserables - Victor Hugo
9. The Historian - Elizabeth Kostova
10. Girl with a Pearl Earring - Tracy Chevalier
(some titles are erroneously being voted on in the list even though they don't fit the description of historical novel, ie. works by Dickens or Austen, but I think there are great suggestions offered for those who enjoy this genre)