The Princess Bride

Heroes. Giants. Villains. Wizards. True Love.
- Not just your basic, average, everyday,
ordinary,
run-of-the-mill, ho-hum fairy tale.

It's been years since I've seen this so it felt like I was watching it for the first time. Since my daughter is taking this DVD with her when she moves out, I thought I'd take the time to watch it and remind myself why this is a cult classic.

It's a lighthearted fairytale compared to the more serious period dramas. Rob Reiner directed which gives us an idea to expect a few laughs. It's a story within a story as we begin with a grandfather (Peter Falk) reading the book of "The Princess Bride" to his grandson (the adorable Fred Savage). Robin Wright Penn is enchanting as Buttercup whose true love, Westley (Cary Elwes) will have to oversome insurmountable odds along the way for their fairytale ending to come true. There's no shortage of interesting characters to encounter including the unmistakeable Billy Crystal as Miracle Max.

All in all, I'd say it was fun to watch except for the "rodents of unusual size" which I had to fast forward through...


Based on the book by William Goldman, (link to quotes from novel)




Here's the DVD cover for the 20th anniversary with its ambigram title.

Buttercup (Robin Wright Penn)

Westley (Cary Elwes)

Prince Humperdink (Chris Sarandon)

Miracle Max (Billy Crystal)

Count Rugan (Christopher Guest)

Inigo Montoya (Mandy Patinkin)

Fezzik (Andre the Giant)

Vizzini (Wallace Shawn)

Grandfather (Peter Falk)

Grandson (Fred Savage)







I couldn't find a good quality official trailer but this fan-made video is great but be warned for spoilers...

6 comments:

  1. maybe this trailer???
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbycH5_sr7k

    or on my blog
    http://enchantedadventures.blogspot.com/2009/06/princess-bride.html

    I saw this film a while ago..
    and I liked it too!
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a good trailer! I'm surprised that there wasn't an official one online. The DVD has two trailers on it. The American one I don't like but the international one was good and I thought I could have found it.

    I like your photo of Carol Kane, before and after!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes, I love her make-up too
    they are so good at it, these days!
    the same as Michelle Pfeiffer in 'Stardust'
    Did you see that movie? it's super!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I just watched Stardust the other day! I really enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. One of my family's favorite movies ever! We love to randomly quote from it as the script often applies to everyday life. A regular reply to the question "How are you?" is "I've been mostly dead all day."
    I love the story and the costumes and the actors. I've never read the book but have the book kicking around somewhere and want to read it some time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, you've got the book! I just found out yesterday there was one! I read on someone's blog how she fruitlessly tried to track down S. Morgenstern's book until she realized it was fictitious so I assumed there wasn't a book at all. I just added it to my wishlist on Amazon!

    Your family must be a hoot!

    ReplyDelete

I HAVE RETIRED FROM THE BLOG AND WILL NO LONGER BE DOING UPDATES. THANKS!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Latest Posts