Emmy Nominations 2009

I was thrilled to find out that Little Dorrit received 11 nominations for the Emmy awards but then it dawned on me that they ignored Matthew Macfadyen and Claire Foy...what??!! How can that be? I feel bad for MM - he should have been recognized but what about Claire????!!!! The lovely Miss Foy was enchanting, sweet and mesmerizing. She did an awesome job of portraying the title character of Little Dorrit around whom the whole plot revolved. Had her performance been less than adequate, the whole series would have suffered.
This camper ain't happy...

On a happy note, here are the NOMINATIONS:
*Outstanding Miniseries
**Both Tom Courtenay and Andy Serkis for Outstanding Supporting Actors in a mini-series
*Andrew Davies for Outstanding writing
*Dearbhla Walsh was nominated for Outstanding Director in a mini-series
*Outstanding Casting for a Mini-series, Movie or Special
*Outstanding Art Direction, Cinematography, Costumes, Hairstyling
*Outstanding Music Composition - John Lunn

I noticed another series that received 14 nominations: Into the Storm
(Brendan Gleeson and Janet McTeer star as Winston Churchill and his wife)
Has anyone seen this one? I hadn't heard of it! I gather it's a sequel to The Gathering Storm which I'd like to see but haven't yet. (Albert Finney and Vanessa Redgrave star as the Churchills )

I was curious as to who did get nominated instead of Claire Foy...
(I'm sorry but I think it's a case of Americans voting for Americans they know...I don't mean to discredit the performances of these actresses but it just seems too bad that the lead character of a series with so many nominations be left out!)

Outstanding Lead Actress In A Miniseries Or A Movie

  • Drew Barrymore, as Little Edie,
    Grey Gardens - HBO

  • Jessica Lange, as Big Edie
    Grey Gardens - HBO
  • Sigourney Weaver, as Mary Griffith
    Prayers For Bobby - Lifetime
  • Shirley MacLaine, as Coco Chanel
    Coco Chanel - Lifetime
  • Chandra Wilson, as Yvonne
    Accidental Friendship - Hallmark Channel

Here are the actors that were received more votes that Matthew. Really?? I can't believe they want to overlook Mr. Macfadyen's performance...

Outstanding Lead Actor In A Miniseries Or A Movie

Kevin Bacon, as LtCol Mike Strobl, Taking Chance - HBO

Brendan Gleeson, as Winston Churchill, Into The Storm - HBO

Kenneth Branagh, as Kurt Wallander, Wallander: One Step Behind - PBS

Kevin Kline, as Cyrano de Bergerac, Cyrano de Bergerac (Great Performances) - PBS

Sir Ian McKellen, as King Lear, King Lear (Great Performances) - PBS

Kiefer Sutherland, as Jack Bauer, 24: Redemption - FOX

I checked to see which other mini-series Little Dorrit is up against and there's only one other in that category - "Generation Kill"
Needless to say, I'm hoping that Little D takes that category!!


  1. I agree with you about Matthew Macfadyen and Claire Foy - I thought Matthew was particularly great and much better than other actors who previously played Arthur. As for who did get nominationed for best actress, I really enjoyed Grey Gardens and thought it was very beautifully acted. The Emmys never seem to get their nominations quite right though.

  2. A friend at work was fascinated by Grey Gardens but I haven't seen it yet!

  3. I agree about Matthew and Claire, but it's great to see 'Little Dorrit' getting so much recognition in the US, anyway, after it struggled in the ratings over here in the UK. I'd love to see Sir Ian McKellen as Lear - hadn't heard anything about that one as far as I know! I have seen 'The Gathering Storm' which was excellent - Albert Finney was brilliant as Churchill. Members of his family said he had him spot on. A shame it isn't him again, but the sequel sounds good anyway. Judy

  4. You're right Judy, it IS wonderful that Little Dorrit was so well received in the States. I still think that BBC could have made it easier for viewers to "find" the series. (I remember them juggling the nights it was on or preempting it.)
    I was curious about Lear as well. It seemed to pass under the radar. Glad to hear your endorsement of Gathering Storm! I just saw a pic of Finney as Churchill yesterday that made me do a double take for his close resemblance!



Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Latest Posts