Count of Monte Cristo

Edmond Dantes is falsely accused by those jealous of his good fortune, and is sentenced to spend the rest of his life in the notorious island prison, Chateau d'If. While imprisoned, he meets the Abbe Faria, a fellow prisoner whom everyone believes to be mad. The Abbe tells Edmond of a fantastic treasure hidden away on a tiny island, that only he knows the location of. After many years in prison, the old Abbe dies, and Edmond escapes disguised as the dead body. Now free, Edmond must find the treasure the Abbe told him of, so he can use the new-found wealth to exact revenge on those who have wronged him.

There have been many film adaptations of Alexander Dumas' bestselling novel. See bottom for links to 1998 adaptation with Gerard Depardieu.

The film does take liberties with the novel's plot. I wasn't impressed
with some of the changes that I felt were made to attract modern audiences.
It held my attention but in the end, I was left feeling unsettled.


2002 film with Jim Cavaziel




Edmond Dantes
(Jim Cavaziel)




Mercedes
(Dagmara Dominczyk)





Fernand Mondego (Guy Pearce)

Abbé Faria (Richard Harris)

The Villeforts: James Frain, Helen McCrory

Richard Harris






I didn't recognize Henry Cavill as Mercedes' son Albert
as the same actor that plays Charles Brandon on The Tudors



IMDb link
fan site
for 1998 film with Gerard Depardieu

4 comments:

  1. I am enjoying the heck out of perusing your blog! You seem to like everything that I do! I just wanted to comment that Henry Cavill is one beautiful looking man!!! Every time I see him in a different movie with a different look, it just works on him. He was also in Tristan and Isolde. ~Lori

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lori! I love knowing that other people love these films as well! I bought Tristan and Isolde months ago but still haven't sat down to watch it - perhaps Henry will be reason enough!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Henry Cavill is one of my all-time favorite actors. And he did great in his role in The Count of Monte Cristo. Solid acting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. can you put a picture of Eugenie??

    ReplyDelete

I HAVE RETIRED FROM THE BLOG AND WILL NO LONGER BE DOING UPDATES. THANKS!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Latest Posts