Art of John William Waterhouse

I'm thinking of putting all these paintings on my digital frame
and imagining that I own these beautiful works of art...


John William Waterhouse
British
1849-1917


Windswept


At the Shrine


Boreas


I am half sick of shadows, said the Lady of Shalott


Gather Ye Rosebuds While Ye May


Gather Ye Rosebuds While Ye May


Gather Ye Rosebuds

Hmm, 3 paintings with the same name...
perhaps an art historian could explain the reason for this?
I've renamed them with more distinct titles... :)
a - Two Ladies Bending Down to Get Flowers
b - One Lady Standing Up and Holding Flowers in a Bowl
c - One Lady Standing Up and Holding Flowers But Deciding That
There's No Need for a Bowl When Her Arms Will Suffice


My Sweet Rose
[Now if she was in the mood for a bit of gatherin',
would this painting also be called Gather Ye Rosebuds?]




Lady of Shalott
[see rendition "If artists had more paint"]


La Belle Dame Sans Merci
[There are recurring themes by other artists. I like this painting
but I love the work of the same name done by Sir Frank Dicksee]


Miss Betty Pollock
[Resembles a younger Emilia Fox?]


Saint Cecilia
My grandmother's patron saint :)

The Enchanted Garden


The Flower Picker


Fair Rosamund


Flora


The Tempest
I've seen this pop up many times especially on Ribbons of Light :)



Tristan and Isolde
[I still haven't seen the film based on this legend...I will soon...]


See more period paintings at Gallery of Selective Artwork




2 comments:

  1. I just happened upon your blog...and I think it's beautiful!! It has all the things I enjoy. Lovely paintings too!:)

    And I wanted to mention that it looks like this particular artist has used the same model for atleast the first half of the collection you have up here...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Risa! There are so many great films and paintings, etc to behold!

    ReplyDelete

I HAVE RETIRED FROM THE BLOG AND WILL NO LONGER BE DOING UPDATES. THANKS!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Latest Posts