My Top Period Movies

I have this compulsive need to make lists. I struggled in vain to narrow down the list of period films that I've featured on this site to compile a "Top Ten". On C19, the question was asked, "What are your top 5?" which made me realize that although I could not limit my faves to only 5, I could at least make a list of 5 groupings. It's a cop out I know...

If I could hand out the Oscars, these would be the worthy recipients.


So here are the films that make my Top 10, or 20 or so...


1. I love the adaptations based on Elizabeth Gaskell. Austen got me hooked on period dramas but the Gaskell series move me emotionally and capture such sweet moments that they get my #1 vote. That includes my favourite drama Wives and Daughters, North and South, and Cranford! I love the ladies of Cranford!




2. It seems too obvious to state but almost anything by Jane Austen (P&P '95, S&S '95 with an approving nod to the 2008 series, Amanda Root's Persuasion, Frances O'Connor's Mansfield Park, and Gwyneth's Emma. I also was pleasantly surprised by Northanger Abbey!) or any of the variations on Jane Austen (Lost in Austen, Becoming Jane and Miss Austen Regrets!)




3. I've discovered a new appreciation for anything Dickensian! (Little Dorrit, Bleak House, Nicholas Nickleby, Oliver Twist, and of course Bella and John in Our Mutual Friend!)






4. I also would like to give a vote to my homegirl, Lucy Maude Montgomery and the classic Anne of Green Gables (1&2 but not 3 or the latest prequel) and the enchanting series of Road to Avonlea!




5. Honourable mentions: Other miniseries that I would have to include are Berkeley Square, Forsyte Saga, Daniel Deronda, The Lost Prince, Buccaneers, Jane Eyre(2006) and Marguerite Volant, all of which held me captivated! I'd also have to include all the historical films based on the British monarchy especially The Young Victoria! Other films that have captivated me are Bright Star and The Fall!




7 comments:

  1. I have to agree about Berkley Square. It's one of my favorites. What I'd give if they had only made a second season!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Or a couple more episodes to wrap it up! I didn't know when I watched it that it was a tv series, I assumed it was a mini-series. It's fine, I've imagined my own happy ending!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was truly a blessing to find your blog.
    I have been searching for a list of period movies for a long time and your blog was exactly what I was looking for.
    I would like to recommend two movies very dear to my heart: "Alex Haley's Queen" and "The Scarlet Pimpernel".

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Simona! Happy that you found your way here! I've heard of those 2 dramas but haven't found the time yet to watch them - glad to hear that you're recommending them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with you completely!!! North and South is my number one though! But this author is my favorite!

    Downton Abbey is splendid as well as the remake of upstairs and downstairs

    ReplyDelete
  6. The front page of the site on the top has photos but no links. What is the name of the film on the far right corner of the top page to the right of Daniel Deronda and below Sense and Sensibility.

    Your site is beautiful. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Anonymous
    Thanks for your comment! The film in question is The Inheritance!
    http://enchantedserenityperiodfilms.blogspot.com/2007/12/inheritance.html

    ReplyDelete

I HAVE RETIRED FROM THE BLOG AND WILL NO LONGER BE DOING UPDATES. THANKS!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Latest Posts