Amadeus

Amadeus.
The man.
The music.
The magic.
The madness.
The murder.
The mystery.
The motion picture.

The title refers to a name that Mozart often used (he was baptized as Johannes Chrysostomus Wolfgangus Theophilus Mozart) as a pen name.

The movie shows us the life of Mozart (Tom Hulce)
as told by the envious composer
Salieri (F. Murray Abraham)

The film was nominated for 53 awards and received 40, including eight Academy Awards, four BAFTA Awards, 4 Golden Globes, and a DGA Award. In 1998, Amadeus was ranked the 53rd best American movie by the American Film Institute on its AFI's 100 Years list.

It won the 1985 Oscar for Best Film
and F. Murray Abraham won the Oscar for Best Actor.


Loved the line said by Emperor Joseph II repeatedly: Well, there it is.

Emanuel: Look, I asked you if we could start rehearsals next week and you said yes.
Mozart: Well, we can.
Emanuel: So let me see it. Where is it?
Mozart: Here. It's all right here in my noodle. The rest is just scribbling.
Scribbling and bibbling, bibbling and scribbling.


Emperor Joseph II: My dear young man, don't take it too hard.
Your work is ingenious. It's quality work. And there are simply too many notes, that's all.
Just cut a few and it will be perfect.

Mozart: Which few did you have in mind, Majesty?

Salieri: I heard the music of true forgiveness filling the theater,
conferring on all who sat there, perfect absolution.
God was singing through this little man to all the world, unstoppable,
making my defeat more bitter with every passing bar.

Mozart: It's unbelievable, the director has actually torn up a huge section of my music.
They say I have to rewrite the opera. But it's perfect as it is! I can't rewrite what's perfect!


[trying on wigs]
Mozart: They're all so beautiful. Why don't I have three heads?



Wikipedia Article

see more screencaps at Period Movie Review

2 comments:

  1. Amazing movie! I just finished watching it and I am blown away. Tom Hulce as Mozart is fantastic. It is such and interesting take on Mozart's life and the music was amazing. I just really enjoyed this movie :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember being blown away by it when I saw it years ago. I've been meaning to revisit it. Glad to hear that you liked it!

    ReplyDelete

I HAVE RETIRED FROM THE BLOG AND WILL NO LONGER BE DOING UPDATES. THANKS!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Latest Posts