The World of Jane Austen


She was born December 16. 1775. During her lifetime she had little fame but today she is recognized as one of Britain's most esteemed novelists. Her works have inspired many movie adaptations, books about her and countless novels & sequels based on her works.There are many websites devoted to her and I've attempted to gather a list of some of the best ones...

I've listed links to the best film adaptations on this page,





________MOVIE ADAPTATIONS_______
(Click on titles for more on each film)


Sense and Sensibility

"That is what I like; that is what a young man ought to be. Whatever be his pursuits, his eagerness in them should know no moderation, and leave him no sense of fatigue." (Marianne talking of Willoughby)

"I am by no means assured of his regard and even were he to feel such a preference I think we should both be very foolish to assume that there would not be many obstacles to his marrying a woman of no rank who cannot afford to buy sugar." (Elinor talking of Edward)





It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a wife.

“She is tolerable, but not handsome enough to tempt me."








"Surely you and I are beyond speaking when words are clearly not enough." (quoted from Edward in movie)

"I've loved you as a man loves a woman. As a hero loves a heroine. As I have never loved anyone."




Mr. Knightley: "I rode through the rain! I'd - I'd ride through worse than that if I could just hear your voice telling me that I might, at least, have some chance to win you."

Emma: "If I have not spoken, it is because I am afraid I will awaken myself from this dream."





But when a young lady is to be a heroine, the perverseness of forty surrounding families cannot prevent her. Something must and will happen to throw a hero in her way.

Henry: "Now I must give you one smirk, then we can be rational again."






"You pierce my soul. I am half agony, half hope. Tell me not that I am too late, that such precious feelings are gone for ever. I offer myself to you again with a heart even more your own than when you almost broke it, eight years and a half ago." - Captain Wentworth




7 comments:

  1. I must disagree-- the BEST version of "Emma" was done by A&E and stars Kate Beckinsale. Skip the Gwyneth Paltrow version!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know a lot of people prefer the Beckinsale version but I found her to be a trifle annoying. It takes the whole movie for me to finally come around and root for her. I suppose her "Emma" is actually closer to the novel but count me in as one who prefers Gwyneth's portrayal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have only seen the Gwyneth Paltrow version and I loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi!!! just got a mail frm my best friend telling me about this blog. I just wish to congratulate you on it, because of such a drive and all...
    I'm really excited about the BBC version of Emma because I literally can't come to terms with Gwyneth Paltrow's. tbh, I think it's purely commercial and all, in spite of certain ppl in the cast...

    I'm a BIG Janie fan since I was 12 and loved bumping into this blog!!

    cheers!!

    Anifled O'Field, Argentina.-

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Anifled! A lot of people seemed to appreciate the new BBC Emma so you've got plenty of company! It's great to hear from someone in Argentina!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The 2009 version of Emma with Romola is my favorite. It's so fresh and fun and lively. Of course I like all three versions, but the newest is certainly my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Marissa, I liked the adaptation with Romola as well (even though I don't have it listed on this post)!

    ReplyDelete

I HAVE RETIRED FROM THE BLOG AND WILL NO LONGER BE DOING UPDATES. THANKS!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Latest Posts