Persuasion


In 1814 England, 27-year old Anne Elliot lives an oppressive life with her father, Sir Walter Elliot of Kellynch Hall, and her elder sister Elizabeth, both of whom are incurable snobs. Eight and a half years ago, Anne been persuaded to refuse an offer of marriage from the man she loved, a young naval officer of no position or fortune. Now, after the Napoleonic wars, Captain Wentworth has gained both rank and money, and chance has thrown them together again. Anne finds herself confronted with thoughts of might-have-been as she watches Wentworth court her brother-in-law's sister, Louisa. But an accident causes Wentworth to realize whom he truly cares for, and he follows Anne to Bath. But her cousin William (the heir to Kellynch Hall) is also pursuing her and is rumored to be engaged to Anne. And she must overcome this last obstacle before she can persuade Captain Wentworth as to the true nature of her affections. (Written by Kathy Li)

Based on Jane Austen's novel


Amanda Root and Ciaran Hinds
(Anne and Frederick)


Louisa and Henrietta


Sir Walter Elliot (I thought Corin Redgrave was hilarious in this role.
Hardly recognizable from his role as Jolyon Forsyte)

Charles and Mary

Elizabeth and Mrs. Clay


Teatime with Anne...everyone's confidante...
Mrs. Musgrove
Henrietta, then Louisa

In Bath

Admiral & Mrs. Croft, Lady Russell

Mr. Elliot, Mrs. Smith


Captain Wentworth's letter to Anne

I can listen no longer in silence. I must speak to you by such means as are within my reach. You pierce my soul. I am half agony, half hope. Tell me not that I am too late, that such precious feelings are gone for ever. I offer myself to you again with a heart even more your own, than when you almost broke it eight years and a half ago. Dare not say that man forgets sooner than woman, that his love has an earlier death. I have loved none but you. Unjust I may have been, weak and resentful I have been, but never inconstant. You alone have brought me to Bath. For you alone I think and plan. -Have you not seen this? Can you fail to have understood my wishes? - I had not waited even these ten days, could I have read your feelings, as I think you must have penetrated mine. I can hardly write. I am every instant hearing something which overpowers me. You sink your voice, but I can distinguish the tones of that voice, when they would be lost on others. - Too good, too excellent creature! You do us justice indeed. You do believe that there is true attachment and constancy among men. Believe it to be most fervent, most undeviating in
F.W.

I must go, uncertain of my fate; but I shall return hither, or follow your party, as soon as possible. A word, a look will be enough to decide whether I enter your father's house this evening or never.

7 comments:

  1. Great site- one of my fave topics!
    I think "Persuasion" is the BEST Austen adaptation, besides Ang Lee's "Sense and Sensibility." The actors REALLY fit their roles, and stay true to the characters. I REALLY hate the Austen novel films that poke fun at Austen (unless she meant it that way).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Emma! Persuasion does seem to be one of the more beloved novels. When I first watched the film, I had no idea how cherished it was!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this movie! You gave me an idea for a throwdown post tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know that I love the ones that you've already done. I'll take a guess that it has to do with Sir Walter? Hmm, wondering what it will be?

    ReplyDelete
  5. The 2007 adaptation with Sally Hawkins and Rupert Penry-Jones is by far my favourite period drama. I've lost count as to the amount of times I've watched it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree MissE. Sally Hawkins renders a quite nobility to Anne Elliot who's quiet suffering and servitude is barely tolerable to the heart. Her solid equal is found in Penry-Jones and one cannot help but root for them to right a wrong made so many years before. It is by far and wide my most favorite Austen tale.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I never tire of Persuasion! When I need a quick fix I pop in the version with Rupert Penry Jones (he pierced my soul) and Sally Hawkins.

    When I want to linger longer it is all about Ciran Hinds and Amanda Root.

    Persuasion is my favorite Austen Novel! Then of course P & P!

    ReplyDelete

I HAVE RETIRED FROM THE BLOG AND WILL NO LONGER BE DOING UPDATES. THANKS!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Latest Posts